Author Topic: Long time user now gone.  (Read 4773 times)

REDACTED

Long time user now gone.
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
Last straw with this bloated program was the continued install of the safe browser along with a continuous caution if you didn't permit their program to be updated automatically.

I have installed Avira and will try Bitdefender to  see which I prefer.

Based on Avast approach to so many complaints it would appear they are making a conscious decision to lose users as it would be simple for them to let you set your preference in settings.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Long time user now gone.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »
You did agree to the EULA when you installed avast and with that they where/are allowed to install the SafeZone Browser without asking/notification up-front etc.

Due to the huge amounts of complaints on how (not why) they did it, they have stopped the push install of the SafeZone Browser to the users of the free avast version.
In the latest version it is not installed automatically anymore.

If you want to use another av, it is ofcourse your choice.
But make sure that really everything of a installed av is removed before installing another one.
If not, you can get problems.
http://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/

Uninstalling a av through the control panel will not remove everything.
Running the vendors removal tool will also not remove everything.
You will have to remove the "leftovers" manually (folders, files, registry entries).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »
Eddy will you stop flogging this EULA dead horse. Most EULAs (not just avast) are so open ended and written in legalese and not plain language (whichever language you happen to be reading it in) as to make them virtually unreadable.

So please stop beating users over the head with the EULA stick, it doesn't help and after all that is what we are trying to do in the forums. This doesn't help, it just inflames.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:28:54 PM »
I can't help it if people don't read/understand the EULA's.
Fact remains they do agree to them when installing software.
Like it or not, but that is the way it is.

If trying to explains/teach users is wrong, than this webboard is not about helping.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »

If trying to explains/teach users is wrong, than this webboard is not about helping.
Please quote the portion of the EULA that you are referring to. I am not able to find it.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »

No one reads stupid EULA's. They are too long, generic and they read like something not even lawyers can understand properly. Pointless waste of time.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »

That changes nothing of what I have said about EULAs.
Is it right that everyone reads and agrees with every EULA or don't install the software. That is complete rubbish, people don't read them because they are cr4p in the most part.

It still shouldn't be used as a club to beat them over the head with.

EDIT: You aren't teaching anyone or helping them, telling a user they are wrong (without giving the exact reference of the EULA), isn't helping them it is infuriating them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:15:43 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vapor

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 01:06:45 AM »
No one reads stupid EULA's. They are too long, generic and they read like something not even lawyers can understand properly. Pointless waste of time.

Why you think they make them so long and in such fine print...sorry you mist that part, didn't you read it ...what part...now your doomed  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:10:41 AM by Vapor »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 01:36:32 AM »
I don't even bother to read EULA's and would guess over 90% of those installing don't bother.

The fact is every piece of software out there paid and free is issued with conditions on its use that we don't like.

Avast is probably really no different with regards its EULA than is Avira or other AV's. I agree to them because if you don't you cannot use the program.

I am tired of Avast because I was tired of popups constantly being used and shady ads promoting their paid products to speed up your machine.

Maybe they will start but I haven't had one single pop up or bottom right flag promotion yet using Avira.

That is a bonus in itself.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 06:34:12 AM »
Just because something is mentioned in EULA, that doesn't give a program vendor total and absolute right to be a total jerk to the user. I mean, they could, but they'll also lose users if they do. Because in the end users won't really care what EULA says.

EULA is there so users can't just sue the company for every tiny nonsense, but that doesn't take away their right to complain about it on company forum and request a better handling or design of things. Because as we've seen, even if installation of 3rd party tools is in EULA, they've admitted that auto installation of SafeZone browser was delivered badly. But what's done is done now. They need to be more careful in the future as to how it is delivered and presented to the user. As seen here, even if it's free, that doesn't mean people will grab it or accept it unconditionally.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
https://www.avast.com/eula-avast-free-products
3. Upgrades and Updates
Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of the free version of the Software.

And as I have said before, I also very much dislike (to say it nicely) the way avast rolled out the SafeZone Browser to the users of the free av product.

EULA_Avast_Free.txt
90 lines of which 42 blank.
How hard is it to read that... :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:39:23 AM by Eddy »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 01:19:20 PM »
 ::)

50 lines, fine. Each line has how many characters? 150? If you install 5 programs it will take you half an hour just because of the stupid EULA's, even though installation takes 5 seconds... That's why no one reads this crap.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 04:36:56 PM »
Quote from: gross and pathetic interpretation of the EULA
3. Upgrades and Updates
Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of the free version of the Software.

The way I read this is as follows:

• product updates
  • bug fixes
  • virus signature updates
  • other emergency updates
  • performance improvements
  • overall product improvements
  • vulnerability patches and other security related fixes
  • program upgrades
The above is what I expect when I read this. Of course, the interpretation can be twisted to read otherwise. Nowhere does it state that Avast can and will install PUP's, adware engine, and exhibit malware-like behavior such as injecting a signature into the footer of users personal email without user consent. This happens in the paid version as well.

What Avast needs is someone, with their head screwed on straight, to make the tough decisions if ethics and common sense
are even a tough decision to make for them. You don't use a person's personal computer as a vehicle for your adware campaign. You don't tamper with a person's personal email. You don't install additional software, which could be considered a PUP, without user consent. It's not your computer. You do what a security program is expected to do and that is to protect a user's computer from malware and stay out of the way.

Whether or not it is in the EULA and the user actually understands what they are reading makes no difference whatsoever. It's not going to change anything.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:50:52 PM by Charyb »

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:58:11 PM »
I almost always never read them either. But I also watch the installer window as it goes step by step to
catch any unwanted ride along programs. When it comes to Avast, I have the latest one (free edition)
and it did not force me to auto update. But I did leave Streaming Update turned On .. Also it never
checks for or updates the Program itself as I have it set to Ask When Update Is Downloaded. When a
new version of Avast comes out, I usually get the full installer and then run a Custom Install picking
only the parts I want to install. Saves a lot of trouble that way.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578