Author Topic: Shortcut virus  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Shortcut virus
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
After dbrisendine says everything is ok, it is a good idea to check all systems where you have used that usb stick also.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 11:52:57 PM »
Everything looks fine and with Avast scanning, MBAM and MCShield running now, you should be good to go.  As Eddy said, it would be a great idea to check all your systems that USB was used on.

If everything else if fine for you (Avast is running / scanning with no warnings, etc.) then I will remove our tools and get you on your way ...

Clean up of Malware Removal Tools
Now that we are through using these tools, let's clean them off your system so that should you ever need to have malware removed again (we hope not) fresh, updated copies will be downloaded.

• Download Delfix from here to your desktop and double click it to start the program
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
  • Activate UAC
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge system restore
  • Reset system settings

• Click Run
  • The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Note: Please save this log first before rebooting your system (if asked to); DelFix does not save the log as it is trying to remove all traces of our work on your system.  Please attach the log in your next reply.
You can delete any log files left on your desktop as these are no longer needed.

==Some Tools to consider to help keep your system safe ==

Consider a program that will check for out-of-date programs on your system
Some programs don't have update checks built in or make you run the application to start the check for updates process. An easier way to stay on top of the current versions of your installed programs is to use a version checking program like Heimdal Free from Heimdal Security (you can get the software from here and read more about it on the same page).

Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing.  By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.

CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system.  You can read the details about this program here.

Also, consider keeping MalwareBytes Antimalware in your arsenal of safe keeping programs. Use the free version (not the paid or trial version) and you won't have a problem with your antivirus scanner program. Keep it updated and run a scan with it once a week.

Lastly, if you use Firefox as your main web browser, consider adding the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons to the browser to block scripting hijacks and remove unwanted ads from the pages you view.

You may also find some information and tips at this thread:
 How did I get infected in the first place?
and
COMPUTER SECURITY - a short quide to staying safer online

I'll leave this topic open for a few days so that if you have any questions you can come back here. Surf safe, my friend!!
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »
After dbrisendine says everything is ok, it is a good idea to check all systems where you have used that usb stick also.

Thank you Eddy, but I only used my usb stick on my laptop. I caught the virus on a public library, so, after the infection I didn't use it anymore.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
Hi dbrisendine, I can't run the delfix app cause my antivirus (Norton Security) blocked the program  :( Thank you again!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »
Hi dbrisendine, I can't run the delfix app cause my antivirus (Norton Security) blocked the program  :( Thank you again!
Right click Norton tray icon, the one down in right corner by the clock, there you should see a option to pause it

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
Thank you! there is the last log!