Author Topic: warrning followed by phone call  (Read 2552 times)

REDACTED

warrning followed by phone call
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »
 My friend said she opened a link in an email and a pop-up in the tab said don't turn off your computer. The malware had according to her control of her volume and the computer was screaming at her. She was freaking out and didn't remember how she shut down the computer ( pulled the cord I assume ). She got a phone call regarding the infection almost immediately. She didn't comply with his request fortunately and it seems that no damage was done. I have not yet been over to see for myself what is going on, but I thought I should raise the issue as this is the first time I've heard of a screaming pop-up followed by a phone call. A quick search of Google returned nothing. Anyone with knowledge or ideas please post. I know someone will, but please don't tell me "you shouldn't open links in emails you don't trust." If I had a dollar for every time I told her I'd be the Republican candidate. I'll add more when I know more.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: warrning followed by phone call
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
Have her come here and provide the log files as explained > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Sure sounds like a scam, would be interesting to get that link so avast and others can add it to there URL blocker

It may have been one of these  >>  https://blog.malwarebytes.org/threat-analysis/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/
Not only are the pop-ups more alarming than ever, many also feature audio voice over that loops indefinitely.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:16:21 PM by Pondus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
It is somewhat strange that after the apparent scam alerts after opening a link in an email (this is often an indication of a ransom-ware attempt), but to subsequently receive a telephone call.

How would they obtain a telephone number and subsequently have this organised attack path. Whilst there are many reports of speculative call scams by people telling you that they are from (Microsoft support, or other known service, etc.) you have a problem with your PC. It would be too much of a coincidence to receive both of these together.

As far as emails go, don't open unsolicited emails, don't open attachments in unsolicited emails and finally don't click on links in unsolicited emails.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »
Besides having her email and telephone number, I would be worried about what other types of information this person has and how he obtained it. I would keep an eye on bank and credit card statements as well as credit reports and change all my important passwords.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:09:34 PM by Charyb »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:58 PM »
I know someone will, but please don't tell me "you shouldn't open links in emails you don't trust." If I had a dollar for every time I told her I'd be the Republican candidate. I'll add more when I know more.

How would they obtain a telephone number and subsequently have this organised attack path.
If the computer had been infected for some time, then she could have been specifically targeted?

So that computer sure need a check by Essexboy

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I have to go out to her house to get the fix started. She is not computer literate. As soon as I can I'll get the information to you.