Author Topic: Suggestion: Visibility issue with 'Some files could not be scanned' result.  (Read 4599 times)

REDACTED

Why do I have to go into scan history to see that the # of infected files was 0 when this is the result of the scan??

It's -so- annoying.

Additionally, why is scan history not more accessible? It should be on the menu under scan, or at least tools/statistics, like it used to be. I like to double check my auto-scheduled scan when I run my (non-schedulable) weekly Malware scan :/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:20:54 PM by generationalsavant »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Suggestion: Some files could not be scanned result
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Some files could not be scanned result
If this is your issue it is not related to detections, just a scan error message

How do I handle files that avast! can’t scan?  >>  https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
There is no need to go into the scan registry.
Just enable "show scan results when a scan is finished"

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
Some files could not be scanned result
If this is your issue it is not related to detections, just a scan error message

How do I handle files that avast! can’t scan?  >>  https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

Not my issue at all. I understand what the result is, but I still like to verify that there were no detections (including PUPs).

But thanks.

There is no need to go into the scan registry.
Just enable "show scan results when a scan is finished"

I've turned on the setting to check it out, but is this not the same window that shows when a manual scan finishes, where it states "Result: Some files could not be scanned"?

Because that's the screen I take issue with. If you hit 'view details' or w/e it's called, it only shows you the files that could not be scanned. On neither of those pages does it have Detections: 0. Only scan history has that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:40:49 AM by generationalsavant »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
The Scan history first shows only shows very basic information, you need to select a scan and then select Detailed report. There you can see any Detections and Files that couldn't be scanned. If there are no detections then none could be displayed.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:24 AM »
The Scan history first shows only shows very basic information, you need to select a scan and then select Detailed report. There you can see any Detections and Files that couldn't be scanned. If there are no detections then none could be displayed.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Yes, I understand -all of this-. I am not questioning the "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" result. I am saying the way it is displayed should be improved.

This is a suggestion, not a question, hence why it is labeled as such.

And I turned on the setting suggested above and it still works as it does for a manual scan (as I thought): "Scan complete, SOME FILES COULD NOT BE SCANNED" (click 'Show results') > 'Avast! SCAN RESULTS' with 'Warnings' and a list of the files. Only 'Scan history' and clicking on the date and time of the scan shows "Infected files: 0".

Edit:
The only reason SOME FILES COULD NOT BE SCANNED comes into it is because otherwise the result says approx. NO INFECTIONS FOUND. I am not misunderstanding what that result is. I am not complaining that that result occurs. I am saying that it obscures quickly and easily seeing 'Infected files: 0'.

I've edited the title and added this point on. I'm not bumping the thread again to receive generic replies from people who ignore my point that I am not concerned about the actual result vs the layout n times over. Yes, some people who come here are unaware of what the program files folder is let alone a command prompt. Not everyone is. The first reply being generic is understandable, especially given that I was perhaps overly vague. Beyond that is ridiculous. It becomes almost aggressive. It will absolutely make savvier users not want to come back if that is their first impression. I know I don't want to.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:24:18 PM by generationalsavant »

Offline stibi

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
I have this kind of message too - a codec-archive is password protected.
It's not a bell that rings for malware  :)