Author Topic: Uninstalling - Security Risk  (Read 1704 times)

REDACTED

Uninstalling - Security Risk
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »
1) So congrats on version 4, much better than the previous version
2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a thief is IN the phone and the owner hasnt had a chance to get to another phone or computer and lock it down (settings), then the whole anti theft program is a farce.  The thief can just check off device admin and uninstall the program... or is a pin required to uninstall?  If not it should be.

Stealth mode, though it offers some program protection, is a bit pointless as if you are in the habit of stealing phones then you are going to know how to make the program appear pretty quickly once you see other avast products and installations.  Every little bit helps, but hopefully this isnt the sole protection for the program itself because as shown above, the whole program can be removed easily.

REDACTED

Re: Uninstalling - Security Risk
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:06 PM »
Exactly this, these features and so many more are gone. Look at my thread. You can just disable the admin function and bam, uninstall the app. Just like that. How the f*** is this secure? We're meant to think that this is better? This is just a complete joke! They think we're stupid or something.

Offline Tomas K.

• Avast team
Re: Uninstalling - Security Risk
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.

We are constantly evaluating features of our apps. Sometimes that means removing something
or splitting features into multiple applications because it might make more sense separately.
And protection of the device setting was affected by that.

So while Avast Anti-Theft protects device settings with PIN when the device is marked as lost.
Avast App Locker can protect device settings with PIN all the time.
That means you can still block removal of device admin.