Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)-false positive?  (Read 2720 times)

lethedoom

Win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)-false positive?
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:26:23 PM »

avast! version4.6 Home Edition
eMachines T3302
AMD Sempron Processor 3300+
512mb ram

Immediate predecessor version of virus database arrived 12 hours earlier: Scan revealed no infection.

Current version of virus database:0603-0,01/15/06. Two scans found two different locations of what it deems the same trojan.
I have put them in the chest, but if they are false positives I am compromising my system recovery capacity.

D drive is partitioned for System Restore. this is a 2 week old pc with WinXP Home SP2 with all Windows XP patches installed.

scan 1 at medium:

avast found Win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)

D:\i386\Apps\App20464\imgvemver1.6.exe

scan 2 at high:

avast found Win32:Trojan-gen (UPX!)
D:\System Volume Information\_restore(F854E3DB-F751-4BE4-A620-64F2CA1BFB5F)\RP45\A0009159.exe

scan 3 with avast quick scanner (D Drive only) for time saving:no problem found

scan 4 at medium: no problem found.

I suspect these are false positives, but I will leave them in the chest until that is assured.
One reason is that sucessive scans found the trojan in different places: the location specified
in the second scan was not identified as a problem by the first scan. I had moved the first
identified file into the chest before running the subsequent scan. A second is that the avast
standard and web shields were running while I was online and didn't report these trojans incoming.
I assume that if a scan shows them the shields would catch them too. Is that incorrect?

Please tell me the bestway to proceed without forfeiting the possibility of restoring my D Drive
System Restore files if they are not truly malware.

I extracted the two files to a desktop folder, scanned them and when avast found same infection put them in chest too.
I used the e mail option in chest, but Outlook Express refused to send the virus files to avast. How do I process them
to allow e mail program to transmit them to avast for verification?

similar occurrence reported 2004 at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4991.msg36196

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)-false positive?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:43:56 PM »
Can you please submit the file imgvemver1.6.exe for analysis? You can send it directly from Chest (add some comment about the possible false positive, please), or pack it with ZIP or RAR, protect it with a password and e-mail it to virus@avast.com.
Thanks.

lethedoom

Re: Win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)-false positive?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
requested e mail sent. thanks for your help.