Author Topic: Windows 10 not booting: AswVmm.sys digital signature check failed  (Read 4596 times)

REDACTED

After freshly installing Avast Premier on a brand new HP ProBook 470 G2 with Windows 10 Home, I keep on getting the following message that prevents Windows from booting normally:

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified. File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\aswVmm.sys Error code: 0xc0000428

The workaround is to pres F8 and 7 - Disable driver signature validation in startup options.

I have tried:

Repair AVast
    Uninstall - boot - download - Install Avast

This did not help. Looked on the internet, like here, but no reasonable advice. (I have copied the original disk to SSD with Samsung Data Migration software, which was a seamless process.)

I have observed that Avast was able to connect to internet first after reboot and then the problem started.

Any workaround except disabling driver signature validation or secureboot?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:06:53 PM by didi.barcal »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Windows 10 not booting: AswVmm.sys digital signature check failed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
What exact version of avast ?
Did you completely remove any pre-installed av before installing avast ?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
@didi.barcal: can you please compress (zip) \Windows\System32\Drivers\aswVmm.sys and send it to kurtin@avast.com?
Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:22:15 PM »
I have downloaded today the version of Avast Premier from Avast web. I have installed on a new HP laptop with no antivirus previously installed (so no Norton, McAffee, etc., only Windows Defender). Then uninstall, download, reinstall - the same problem. Looked at the file and it seems signed somehow. I can send it  to kurtin@avast.com on Monday. Now I had to switch off secureboot temporarily in UEFI bios. The laptop OS contains some HP bundled software. Also after performing repair it writes that language pack is unavailable, but it is perhaps not connected.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:27:33 PM by didi.barcal »