Author Topic: Stop avast! from detecting previous .vir files?  (Read 2853 times)

JLJ

Stop avast! from detecting previous .vir files?
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:38:45 AM »
avast! insists on scanning and flagging files it has previously placed into the Chest -- quite the annoyance, esp if a scan halts for user input while I'm at the movies. How to best disable this behaviour? -- should I just add ".vir" to the exceptions list, or what?

Speaking of the exceptions list, what's the proper syntax for adding items: is it "*.xxx" or just ".xxx" ?

THX JLJ

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Stop avast! from detecting previous .vir files?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:24:02 PM »
avast! insists on scanning and flagging files it has previously placed into the Chest -- quite the annoyance, esp if a scan halts for user input while I'm at the movies. How to best disable this behaviour? -- should I just add ".vir" to the exceptions list, or what?
Are you sure you're talking about avast Chest? Files into Chest are not 'alive' to be detected by anything... they're kept there, safe.
Do you use any other antivirus in your system?
Are you saying that you have a recurring infection? An infection that you clean and comes back?

Speaking of the exceptions list, what's the proper syntax for adding items: is it "*.xxx" or just ".xxx" ?
*.xxx
The best things in life are free.

JLJ

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »
Actually I don't think I have any infection at all; I think a legit component of FilZip is being falsely flagged (I sent emails to avast and Filzip for verification.) But my mistake, the file had not been placed into the Chest but into the "Moved" folder.

That said, I would assume that scanning would specifically ignore files renamed with avast's own ".vir" extension, which does not seem to be the case -- this one file in Moved always gets reflagged, I have no other exp with any other files, nothing's been detected other than that.  Is this normal? If not, what to do, and if so, how to stop avast from rescanning .vir files, regardless of location?

THX JLJ

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 09:57:24 PM »
I would assume that scanning would specifically ignore files renamed with avast's own ".vir" extension, which does not seem to be the case.
No, avast does not ignore them by default. In fact, I doubt it would 'recognize' them as its 'sons and daughters'...

I have no other exp with any other files, nothing's been detected other than that.  Is this normal? If not, what to do, and if so, how to stop avast from rescanning .vir files, regardless of location?
Add
*.vir
or, better, in the format
<avast moved folder path>\*.vir
to the two exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demmand scanning):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...
The best things in life are free.