Author Topic: Avast Safe Zone and Safe Price  (Read 10214 times)

REDACTED

Avast Safe Zone and Safe Price
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:48:49 AM »
I do not want EITHER Avast Safe Zone browser OR Avast Safe Price. I have uninstalled them repeatedly, but they reinstall every time I update Avast. >:(

Does anyone know how to prevent these unwanted things from installing again? I am really tried of having to uninstall them, and have been putting off updating to avoid them.

Is there some check box I'm missing? I have genuinely never seen anything that will allow me to opt out. ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Safe Zone and Safe Price
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
The automatic installation of the SafeZone Browser is solved in the latest avast version.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185928.0

It shouldn't happen anymore when there is a update.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
Thank you for the response.

Is this information just for the pro version, or does it apply top the free home version as well?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »
Look at the version you can download there. ;)
The info is for free, pro, IS and premier.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
Well, I just upgraded, and guess what!

Avast Safe Zone Browser and Safe Price both installed themselves without my consent again.  >:(

The only things I have the ability to opt out of are Chrome, which I hate, and making it my default browser.

I suggest anyone having this same problem download IOBit Uninstaller. It works much better and faster that the native Windows uninstaller, and you can get rid of the very PUPS Avast is supposed to be protecting you from with a couple of clicks.

It's just a shame you have to run a malware scan after updating your virus program.  :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 11:47:05 PM »
I don't care what they've been accused of in the past regarding their anti-malware software.

All I care about is that their uninstalled works, and very well. It even cleans out the remnants of an unwanted program left in the registry.

And by the way, Avast isn't being equally dishonest by insistently sneaking unwanted programs onto my computer??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »
The safezone browser is now an integral part of avast free, where previously it was only in the paid versions. From earlier program versions it was installed as part of a program update. Only from version 11.1.2262 if you have uninstalled it in the normal manner for other avast elements, then that information should be retained and future program updates shouldn't reinstall it.

That said if you do a clean program install, it would be installed, unless you do a custom installation and unchecking avast elements that you don't need/require.

There is something totally different from updating a program which has new features, to using the intellectual property of another company.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 12:58:16 AM »
There isn't that much difference in ethics when Avast has been told repeatedlythat users do not want their browser or their the assistance shopping online.

Forcing software onto anyone's hard drive is unethical. It's an attempt to take control of what software people use and to micro-manage their online experience.

It's bad enough that Avast tried to foist the hated Chrome off on people who don't want it and wouldn't have it, but at least there's an opt-out box you can uncheck for that. It's conveniently already checked for you that you "accept" the damned thing, and the hijacking of your real browser.

You are not even offered the chance to opt out of Safe Zone and Safe Price. And even if you uninstall Safe Zone the second it stops downloading, Safe Price will still try to install itself on your real browser, and the only I have ever found to get rid of it if it gets it's hooks into a browser is to removed it with IOBIT.

Avast needs to rethink the (cough cough) "value" of its PUPS, and the bad publicity it generates to try to install them by stealth and force.

And your complaint about IOBit is that they made use of a data base that already existed? Pfffft!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »
Avast 2016: Manage program components in Avast Antivirus setup configuration
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

IOBit sucks at ethics
https://shanegowland.com/tech/2012/iobit-is-a-sucky-company/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Malware/comments/37c470/iobit_uninstaller_is_adware/
The IOBit stuff is just info for you, do with it as you want. If you like the program then use it

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:17:52 AM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »
Just so you know, Avast had to remove Safe Price from Chrome because it was tracking you with ads. In short, spyware.

I do object to that kind of thing being installed on my computer against my will. 

And I say again that there is no means of opting out of installing it while it is installing. It has to be removed later.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199829/avast-antivirus-was-spying-on-you-with-adware-until-this-week/

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
As I said before, the SafeZone browser does not install itself anymore since the latest avast version. (2016.11.2.2262)
Well, I just upgraded, and guess what!...
That means you still had a old(er) version installed, so yes the SafeZone Browser can (and very likely) will install itself.
It shouldn't happen with the next final release update.
It already doesn't happen in the beta versions.

About that article on HowToGeek, they are wrong and that has been proven.

IObit, so it is ok if I come to your house and steal everything I want ?
Give me your address.

No, SafePrice is not spyware and it is your own choice if you install it or not.
Removing it afterwards ?
Only if you have chosen to install it in the first place.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »
IObit, so it is ok if I come to your house and steal everything I want ?
Give me your address.
;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 06:11:36 PM »
You people are missing the point, and I can't help thinking it's deliberate,

Avast DOES still install both Safe Zone Browser and Safe Price automatically.

It just did it yesterday.

It did it with the most recent update.

There is no facility for opting out.

It is unwanted, and it has to be uninstalled.

Windows native uninstaller does not root it all out. It leaves debris.

The only thing I have found that does get rid of it entirely is IOBit Uninstaller. I am not even using the program you're complaining about.

And yes, I do recommend that over obediently tolerating spyware just because it came from Avast. There is no such thing as ethical spyware.

If IOBit is "unethical," what does that make Avast? Avast is the one planting the spyware, and apparently only pretending they aren't doing it "any more." IOBit was at least trying to help people get rid of spyware.

Although it may be unethical in your world to be able to get rid of the spyware Avast plants, it isn't in mine. That is your real issue, isn't it? That IOBit outsmarted Avast's forced install of spyware?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
No, avast does not install the SafeZone Browser silently anymore.
They even stopped the automatic roll-out of it to the users of their free av.

There was/is no recent update unless you are using a beta version. (latest release was on 03 Jun 2016)
The latest update for a final version was on 27 Apr 2016.

Windows doesn't have a uninstaller.
If you select "remove" through the control panel it calls the uninstaller provided by the creator of the software.
You can easily test/check this yourself.
- Download this little tool I created > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167982.msg1313118#msg1313118
- Install it
- Navigate to the installation folder
- Remove the file called uninst.exe
- Open the control panel
- Navigate to the listing of the tool
- Select remove
You will get a error.

We are not complaining about a application of IObit.
We just showed you that they can't be trusted.

avast is not (as you call it) planting spyware.
I wonder if you even know what spyware is...