Author Topic: can't complete virus scan  (Read 2107 times)

godfather_77

can't complete virus scan
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »
I  have
AMD athalon XP2000+
1gig ram
128mb ati radeon 8500
Soundblaster audigy2
XP sp 2
Whenever I try and run a scan I leave and when I come back the program is no longer running (scanning) Today I came back and had the windows warning about "recovered from a serious error" etc I am sorry can't remember the exact message I am running the home edition 4.6 Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can't complete virus scan
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:37:34 PM »
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: can't complete virus scan
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:03:43 AM »
According to the symptoms, the operating system has "bluescreened" and restarted.
I somehow doubt it is caused by avast... couldn't it be e.g. a cooling problem (i.e. your computer overheating)?