Author Topic: Someone blew it  (Read 2516 times)

REDACTED

Someone blew it
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
Trying very hard to be nice here, BUT - the latest update (May 31) blew up any access to most secured sites, especially those that require HSTS (where no exception can be added - although that does NOT work anyway).

Avast version 11.2.2262, virus file 160601-0. Latest update of Firefox (46.0.1) - which is not the problem, they have not updated for a few weeks now; this started just as soon as I updated Avast.

Error message:
The owner of support.avast.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Adding to EXCLUSIONS does not work. ONLY turning off web shield works. Really???

Please email me with any answer. I will turn shields off later this evening so that I can actually access my email.

Ah, an antivirus site that encourages spamming. Lovely. Well, e-mail removed.

Suppose the next step is to uninstall and reinstall - then if that does not work, look for something else after more than five years. At least I won't have to worry about forgetting to opt out of installing the Google malware (that took me three days to kill off the last time it happened).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:27:54 AM by serenesoft »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Someone blew it
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:52:27 PM »
Please email me with any answer.
Sorry, but if there is a answer it will be posted here    ;)

and i would remove the mail address ... unless you like to collect spam

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:46:34 AM »
All shields enabled, AOS active and no problems at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:07:12 AM »
Snap no problems connecting to support.avast.com with firefox 46.0.1 web shield and avast AOS add-on enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »
Ah, an antivirus site that encourages spamming. Lovely. Well, e-mail removed.
No

Email address harvesting  >>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_harvesting
Another common method is the use of special software known as "harvesting bots" or "harvesters", which spider Web pages, postings on Usenet, mailing list archives, internet forums and other online sources to obtain email addresses from public data.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
And... scraper bots are a long known security hazard. Which can be kept out of your site with a bit of work, when you aren't too lazy.

I code secured websites. While there are always "new" ways to attack them, there is no excuse for a site for security to not be up to date with the latest.

In any case, I have disabled HTTPS scanning. About the only thing I could do, after knocking down the obvious suspects (intermediate certificate problems) without finding anything wrong that shows. Something happened here in the communication between Avast and browsers, something unanticipated and untested.

If any tech person wishes to investigate further to actually fix the issue, go ahead and PM me; I am quite willing to provide system details over a secure channel.