Author Topic: PC-Pine  (Read 3374 times)

mechanic

PC-Pine
« on: January 15, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »
I've seen no references to the use of Pine in these forums; has anyone got Avast! running with PC-Pine? If so could you tell me what your inbox-path value looks like (IMAP server)? And what Avast setting you use?

M.

CharleyO

Re: PC-Pine
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »

Well, I had never heard of PC-Pine before now. So, I don't know anything about it except for what I read from a Google search here ......

http://search.earthlink.net/search?area=earthlink-ws-altsearchbox&q=PC-Pine

Hopefully, someone else might have more info to help you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
Mechanic,

it would help to know which operating system you are working with.

mechanic

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:41:50 AM »
it would help to know which operating system you are working with.
I don't see how. There is a pretty limited range of systems Avast! and PC-Pine are used on! And I'll take useful advice from anyone who uses both!

M.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »
Mechanic,

then you may get confused.  The email intercepts of avast! work differently in the Windows NT/2000/XP environments than those of Windows 98/Me.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 12:11:26 PM by alanrf »

mechanic

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 05:13:09 PM »
What happens is that I get the 'Server disables login. No recognised SASL authenticator' message from the IMAP server when I set Avast to monitor IMAP mail. Normally PC-Pine just asks for the account password when Avast is disabled, which works ok. PC-Pine sits on an XP machine and the mail server is a local Ubuntu-Linux box with a uw-imap.d server looking after the mail files.

Does Avast! handle authentication via SASL/Kerebos/Pam/whatever properly? Not many results for SASL on these forums!

Anyone have a clue as to (i) set Avast! to handle SASL, or (ii) configure SASL via the pam.d/imap files in Ubuntu (or elsewhere if I'm looking in the wrong place!)

W.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
The point of secured email communications (just like secured HTTP transactions - with your bank for example) is to prevent any interception of them even by antivirus software.  SASL is just one of the newer (at least compared to the age of POP3/SMTP) methods of requiring authentication between mail client and server.

However any form of secured communication will prevent avast! from accessing the mail stream. The only (kind of) exception that seems commonly used is for mail access using SSL encryption.  There is a third party program called STunnel that provides an end point to the SSL session with the mail server on the local machine and allows the unencrypted mail stream to be intercepted by avast! between STunnel and the mail client.