Author Topic: Can Avast update the program automatically if I had checked "never"?  (Read 8628 times)

Offline sunsetlover

Yesterday morning it seems Avast updated the program automatically to the 04/27/20016 version. I did not click on the (annoying) update reminder pop-up at the lower right corner, PLUS under "Update" in the program I had checked "never".

ALSO, it installed "Win XP Wdf01009", which after searching I found out it's related to update kb970158, which it tried to install a few hours ago. Any idea why?

I'm running Win XP SP3.

Thank you.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Can Avast update the program automatically if I had checked "never"?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:27:56 AM »
Your program version is 11.2.2262? Or is it the latest beta version?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline sunsetlover

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »
I uninstalled pending verification of this, but I believe is the one you mention here, not the beta version.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
11.2.2262 is the latest stable version and there are no pending program updates for it at the present.  So there would be no annoying update popups, for now at least, for the stable version.  However, a beta installation would be different.  There would be notifications to update more often as the point of beta testing is to work out bugs and outright crashes in the program before being deployed as a final stable release.

Kind of hard to resolve your issue since you appear to have uninstalled it already anyway:
I uninstalled pending verification of this, but I believe is the one you mention here, not the beta version.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline sunsetlover

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:03:44 AM »
Thank you, BUT, my question was: can the program update to this version automatically, even if I had checked "never" and didn't update by clicking the pop-up window?

Also any idea why it would try to install that kb update?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »
Is this the page/version you had installed?  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185928.0

If you had the program update setting set to 'manual update' then it should not update without you explicitly running the update. 

There is no setting for 'never' present.  See attached below.

Is it possible that avast was asking you to register by email before it expired at the end of 30 days? 

Not at all sure where avast is responsible for running a Microsoft KB security update on your system, so cannot answer without more information.  Avast does not run/install Microsoft security updates.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Can Avast update the program automatically if I had checked "never"?
The simple answer is yes.

kb970158 was a hotfix 5(!) years ago.
Why are you installing it just now ?
If you had the program update setting set to 'manual update' then it should not update without you explicitly running the update.
There are exceptions.
For instance if there is a severe security flaw that need to be fixed right away to prevent abuse.

Offline sunsetlover

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
Thanks Eddy.

So basically Avast by itself updated the program version and also proceeded to install a Windows update, all without my knowledge or input.

I found out that update is a driver update, and in many forums, as you may know, they advise against updating drivers thru Windows Update.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
You haven't told what version of avast you are using.
I assume it is the free version.
Without knowing more details, I have to guess.
If you are using the free version, I suspect that avast installed the latest version to solve the automatic installation of the SafeZone browser.

Let's see if I can keep it simple :)
There are multiple types of drivers.
Most people know drivers as software that make it possible for hardware (e.g. printers, scanners, mouse, keyboard) to communicate/be used with the OS.
The driver in question is a kernel mode driver.
Without kernel mode drivers no OS will work.
The kb970158 hotfix solves a security flaw in the OS.
avast and other security software are using (ofcourse) parts of the OS to function.
If there is a security issue with the kernel driver, the security software is also at risk.
That is the reason why avast installs it.

If you want to secure your house, you can put locks (=avast) on the front door.
But it will be useless if you leave the back door (=Windows) open.
This (and other hotfixes) are making the back door more secure.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
I don't think kb970158 is a security update.  It installs the kernel mode driver frame work.
Presumably avast needs it for some of its features.

My PC updated from 2261 > 2262 all by itself.  I asked in another post was there a particular reason avast
chose to ignore my manual setting?  (because it doesn't always do this) but I didn't get an answer.

On another PC I have version 2245 running quite happily  and avast has left it alone.

avast installs kb970158 in all versions in the last year or so, whether it is already installed or not.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline sunsetlover

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 05:02:55 AM »
Thank you all. Yes I'm using the free version.

So this was all because of the SafeZone browser addition.

I would challenge anyone to defend this behavior in any tech or security forum: An AV program automatically installs a new version (despite user's manual option) so that it can install a browser (the merits of which browser are highly debatable, as a search shows), plus it proceeds to install a Windows update.

If you're going to insist on users updating program version, then put a notice (a la regular pop-ups that Avast is fond of anyway) that program will be disabled after let's say 30 days, and offer them the chance to do a custom install.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »
Well, avast brought the SafeZone Browser as a update to the application.
That means they could (and did) do it without any notification.
When they added e.g. the webshield, no one complaint about it.
But most people don't see the SafeZone Browser as a update but as a separate tool (which it is not).
And there is the hart of the problem.
People don't like to see tools (and other applications) installed without any message/choice.
I'm sure that after the install a message was shown with something like "We installed the SafeZone Browser" along with a little information about it and how people could remove it if they wanted to do so, there would have been (almost?) no complaints about it.
Ofcourse a notification before installing would even have been better.
Anyway, avast has changed things and the browser will not be installed automatically anymore.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
I had the same problem as the OP yesterday (6/15).  I am using Avast Free on Win 7.  I had the Program Updates option set to "Ask when an update is available".  It sounds like the OP had it set to "Manual Update", which should be even more restrictive.  I have the virus definitions set to update automatically once a day.

The indication to me that something was different was that I got a message saying Avast had to restart my computer to finish installation.  That has never happened before with the virus updates.   So, I suspected something.

My program version went to 11.2.2262 and I have the SafeZone browser icon on my desktop.  I can understand supplying new program(s)/features  if the user specifies automatic updates, but I had asked for notification before proceeding (which I never received).  Now I don't trust my Program Update selection working in the future.

I just called Avast customer support three times and got three different answers.  They claim to be totally unaware of the problem. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 07:01:36 PM »
It is not avast, but a third party you called and the people at that call center aren't exactly the brightest ones ;)

You could say that technically there isn't/wasn't a problem.
The SafeZone Browser has been in the paid versions quiet a while.
avast decided to provide it to the users of the free version also.
As it is a update to the application avast has the right to roll out the update no mather what settings the user has set.
The user agreed to the EULA which clearly states that they are allowed to do it.

The mistake that avast made is not mentioning anything about the update (or if you wish upgrade) up-front, before installing and/or after installing the SafeZone Browser.

If you search this webboard for it, you will see many complaints.
Not about the SafeZone Browser itself, but the way avast rolled it out to the free users.

The update to version 2016.11.2.2262 was the last one where this happened.
avast has stopped rolling out the SafeZone Browser as they did with that version.
In the next version, it will not (or at least should not) install the SafeZone Browser without any notification.

As for the SafeZone Browser itself, I would say give it a try e.g. a month or so.
If you decide you don't like/want it, you can remove it like any other component of avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
@ BigbirdPhila
Now you're on 11.2.2262 - program updates became automatic in the same way as the Virus definitions (earlier versions should have remained the same Ask).

I had a number of program notifications and after the update found that the Program update had been set to Auto. I set them back and found it happened one further time.

With 11.2.2262 if you set the program update to 'Ask when an update is available' and that setting should be honoured for future program updates from the avastUI. A clean installation would however set the program update to Auto.

Personally I wouldn't waste time with the free telephone support and make your first port of call the avast forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security