Author Topic: NEW: Beta version released - 2016.12.1.2267  (Read 13212 times)

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
NEW: Beta version released - 2016.12.1.2267
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
Hi all,

new beta version is live: 2016.12.1.2267
In this beta we focused on internal improvements and bugfixes.

Changes:

+ Boot-time scan download dialog fixed
+ New CyberCapture feature is now part of DeepScreen (further explanation will come)
+ When Avast Firewall is turned off, Windows Firewall is started
+ Fixed crash which occurred when offline user tried to initiate a SecureLine connection
+ Fixed GUI freeze after license insertion
+ SafeZone - fixed possible problem with initialization of Bank mode (Pay mode is now Bank mode)
+ Changes in the registration process to the Windows Security Center

Known issues:

- SafeZone Browser - Dummy notifications and landing pages of Pay mode
- Missing firewal profile selection dialog after installation and reboot

Notes:

+ In the next beta, the boot-time scan will be enabled again for offline users (this decision was based on your feedback from the last beta). However, extended package of virus definitions will be still offered for download when the boot-time scan is scheduled.

Download links as usual or just update your current beta.

Enjoy,
Petr
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:17:05 PM by petr.chytil »

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: NEW: Beta version released - 2016.12.1.2267
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
Thanks for the update. :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
This a a good positive change especially the CyberCapture and keeping the boot time scan for offline users.

Any news on the statistics window and Avast 2017 since most other vendors have started releasing the betas?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
Any news on the statistics window
in September.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Is their any limitations for New CyberCapture feature?like SVM has RAM. :)
Security Enthusiast

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
CyberCapture is basically an inverted Secure Virtual Machine. It does same or even extended analysis, but on avast! servers. This frees up client systems from the burden of demanding VM client running in the background, resolves all the compatibility issues because it's not fully under avast! staff control and not on client systems.

This is what I thought it would happen after they sacked SecureVM that was just to problematic. Vlk even briefly confirmed my suspicions and this is apparently it. Looking forward for more explanation on what it is exactly and how it works.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline TrueIndian

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
I like the CyberCapture stuff...atleast we get rid of the user's system specs dependency.Finally!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
Jesus christ, what the hell. Installed this thing and it totally wrecked my system yet again. See attached image...

After first restart I couldn't start Firefox and eMule was throwing memory access nonsense. After second reboot, I couldn't even login to system. First this on a login screen, then I was asked for a password which I don't even have and when I had to boot into safe mode by resetting the damn thing like crazy, I couldn't use mouse because it wasn't detected for whatever reason.

And here is the second part. Fix the damn broken installer. Do you people at avast! even realize how utterly horrendous it is to navigate through that pile of crap with a keyboard only? Do you? You can't even visibly select between Update, Repair, Modify and Uninstall buttons. I had to repeat blind TAB and ENTER game like 15 times before I somehow manage to press the damn Uninstall button. Absolutely unacceptable. Don't use some fancy skinned nonsense because it just doesn't work. I could select everything in Windows just fine using only keyboard, but as soon as I've opened avast! "Uninstall" panel, everything went to shits. Highlights picking up entire window instead of individual buttons, just awful to the max. ::)

EDIT:
Settings HIPS to 3rd bar caused this. Don't do it unless you want to deal with a broken down system!

EDIT2:
And again avast! not shutting down stupid Windows Defender. I again had both running at the same time, making system move like a snail...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:29:47 PM by RejZoR »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
<snip>
EDIT2:
And again avast! not shutting down stupid Windows Defender. I again had both running at the same time, making system move like a snail...

I thought the OS is responsible for shutting down Windows Defender when you install a 3rd party anti-virus, not the AV shutting WD down.

That said if there was an uninstall of the 3rd party AV the OS would restart WD, so I guess if there is a problem around that time frame, is it possible both could be running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
3rd party AV needs to send a "signal" to Windows. Apparently avast! has problems with that...

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:18 PM »
RejZoR,
you are right, there were changes in the registration process to the Windows security center in this Beta. I did forget to mention it in the initial post, so I've added it there now.
The whole thing should be ready in the next Beta. However, I'll be glad to get any report on how it works in this Beta. Could you please describe specifics of your case - OS, clean install/update, etc.?
Thanks in advance!
Petr
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:18:18 PM by petr.chytil »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 11:30:16 PM »
After the mess HIPS at highest setting created, I've reinstalled avast! clean. And that's when Windows Defender didn't turn off and I had to do it manually using O&O Shutup 10.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit (fully updated on stable channel).

You really need to look into HIPS part because it's messed up and from the looks of it, there were some changes there as well.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
Hi, in Windows 10 we (and any AV) does not shut down defender.  Defender shuts down itself when it sees another AV is registered in the security center and is also restarted as soon as another AV is uninstalled (unregistered) from the WSC.

Guys, if anyone experiences same issues with Defender not shutting down itself or not  starting after avast is uninstalled (or file shield permanently stopped), please report here. Could you, please, also check if Avast is reported in the WSC as a running AV? If it is, we will further notify Microsoft about the issue on their side. Thanks a lot. Lukas

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
I've had this happened few times before with stable versions as well. This last time with beta build 2267, it actually showed as Windows Defender AND avast! Antivirus installed, but if I opened the dialog for it (details), it said Windows Defender ON, avast! Antivirus OFF. And I could clearly feel it's Windows Defender working because it's slow as hell.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
Disable Windows defender with a Reg.file (in group policy) after you uninstalled any AV program WD will stay off and will not start again ;)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html?s=4ac5e406c389e1eddabf2ce005c586e3

I have used this Reg file and never had issues with WD coming back. ( you can download WD on and WD off in option two) maybe give it a try.
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.