Author Topic: Network Scan Issue  (Read 7876 times)

REDACTED

Network Scan Issue
« on: June 07, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi everyone

In the last 24 hours I've noticed quite a drastic change while doing a Network Scan and was wondering if someone could explain what it actually means.

It seems to have occurred within the last 36 hours from when I had previously scanned my computer. None of what is currently there in the 'Services' section was there before.

On the first screenshot if you look to 'Services' you will see a list of things which make no sense to me. These things were never present before (I scan very regularly). When doing a random Google search on one of the items, it brings something up about being a 'Remote Procedure Call' which sort of has me curious if it's the same as 'Remote Access'?

On the second screenshot, in 'Services' an extra item saying "53 - DNS" has appeared. Again, that too is something that is very recent. It usually only shows the "80 - HTTP" part.

Coincidentally, my whole connection went weird on Sunday evening, and upon restarting everything there was an error notification (the first of it's kind) on my computer about my Web Cam app failing (along with an error code). The webcam is not something I've ever bothered with before, so I found it odd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Please excuse the bad paint-work on the screenshots. Not completely sure if it matters whether I show my IP, etc, but just to be on the safe side...)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Network Scan Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
Hello sovereign2017, and welcome to the forums.

You've got a NETGEAR VMG485 Router, so I'd suggest:
  • changing the default administrator name and password if you haven't done so already
  • consider moving/updating your router to the latest firmware update if not done
Other than that, if avast network scanner says you are clean and in the clear, there should be nothing to worry about.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »
Hi Mchain

Thanks for answering.

The thing is, all those 'services' weren't present the other day, or at any other time. They've just randomly appeared out of no where. What even are they? (if you don't mind me asking)

The defaults were changed on the day I got a new router installed last year, after my previous one had been hacked.

Can I ask what you mean by updating the firmware? I thought my ISP would do something like that automatically? How would I do that?

Sorry about all the questions...  :-[

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:20:35 AM »
Hello sovereign2017,

We recently enhanced the Network scan.
Is is now checking more services and making sure they are not vulnerable.
As long as the scan does not warn you about any vulnerabilities, you are fine. The service list is there just for your information.

Thanks for noticing the change,
Filip

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
A second opinion for checking security status of your router:  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Attached find three .png files which explains scan results of router tcp port checks:

All ports green/passed means tcp ports are stealthed at the router which is what you want to see.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
Benefit of a good hardware firewall...
There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!
:D

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:03 AM »
Hi everyone.

I apologise for not responding sooner. I've had an awful lot going on.

Just want to thank you all for your help.

Eddy - Thanks for the info. I'll have a look.

Mchain - I'm by no means computer literate, I really wish I was in this day and age, nevertheless, I'll be sure to take a look at what you've provided and try to make some sense of it.

Filip Braun - Thank-you for clarifying.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 03:24:21 AM »
Benefit of a good hardware firewall...
There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!
:D

Did I miss something? Was someone referring to my IP address? I can't see the post anywhere... ???

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 03:15:08 AM »
No, no IP address was noted by eddy.

You'll need to go to this address to see where his quote was gotten from:  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Click 'Proceed' you will arrive at a second (new) page:  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
Click 'Common Ports' allow scan to complete: 
What the GRC website is doing is testing your router for open or closed ports and reporting any found.  Your router uses a hardware firewall instead of the software firewall Windows uses.  If all reported as 'stealth' then you are good to go.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I don't know to configure my firewall. 

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
Didn't pass the leak test so is there any way I can fix it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
What firewall?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
Windows firewall.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Windows firewall.
And i then guess you dont have turned on outbound protection (default off) so leak test would then of course connect outbound  ;)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:13:13 PM by Pondus »