Author Topic: Long boot time cause of Avast...  (Read 5990 times)

Offline sj.vegetto

Long boot time cause of Avast...
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:57:16 PM »
Ok so for last 8+ months my boot times windows 10 went from 10 seconds the normal to 45+ seconds. till I found out if I got to avast>troubleshooting and (uncheck) avast self defense module then go to msconfig and did diagnostic boot and restarted. This in turn make my system boot in 10 seconds like it does in SAFEMODE which dont load AVAST. Reboot few time to this way to make sure it didnt regress, and boot time remained  10seconds.

So i put everything back to normal, msconfig normal startup and enable avast self defense module. rebooted and 45+ boot times again. SO i  used Avastclear to remove AVAST once it was remove boot time were once again 10 seconds...

Avast>troubleshooting
root kit scan on system startup (uncheck)
raw disk access during boot  time scan (uncheck)

Do not  give me back my 10 second boot time  only doing the above..

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Long boot time cause of Avast...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:19:17 PM »
8 months ?
A lot has changed in those months.

I suggest to perform a clean installation of the latest avast version and see what happens.

Also make sure any pre-installed (or previous installed) av is completely removed before installing avast.

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
I did do clean I used Avastclear in safe mode, and when it was done boot time were correct and like said I reboot and shut down pc bunch time to make sure and they were  all fast, reinstalled the new build and boot time are slow again.

Only setting I found to give me back my  fast boot times was to disable  self defense module. do diagnostic start up threw msconfig which  disable avastsrc, or remove avast. older builds did not suffer from this problem is i dont remeber what build that was cause was  8 months ago. though it probably the build that came out around the same time windows 10 1151 cause it only effect this build prior builds of window 10 were fine and so is win 7

Basic if i dont disable that stuff the welcome screen stalls for 30+ seconds on my old machine it stalled for  minute. disabled there is no stall new pc would boot in 10 seconds old machine would boot in 30 seconds.

It not deal breaker but it rather annoying and my OCD demand  it get fixed. if not i will look else where for av protection
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:40:52 AM by sj.vegetto »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:28:30 AM »
I very much doubt it is the avast self-defense that is causing it.
I suggest to submit a ticket and have avast look at it.
https://support.avast.com

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »
I have gona see what they so are do, at moment i thinking of new AV product cause ever system with win10 that I have avast on has this issue.

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
BTW it might not be the self defense module but it has to be disable just for me to disable the AVASTSVC once that is disable system boot time are correct, so it could be the AVASTSVC service that is stalling the welcome screen.

Either way the probably been around since Nov build of 2015 on all my pcs that use avast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Since the avastsvc.exe is the main avast service and scanning engine, disabling that is somewhat counter productive. After all avast is an on-access resident AV.

Disable that and zero protection, of course you wouldn't get any overhead during boot. For me that is an overhead I'm unconcerned when it is providing my protection.

I dream of a 45 second boot ;)
Well I lie a little bit as I don't sit there with a stopwatch whilst windows boots, I normally just boot and carry on with what I was doing.

You could always leave your system on or set to standby.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »
Also, the antivirus used first boots to capture information from the system and building up persistent cache.
The best things in life are free.