Author Topic: Shopper by Hotbar  (Read 7652 times)

efuniture

Shopper by Hotbar
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:41:11 AM »
Hey All,
 :D I was cleaning up my computer and I was removing programs that I do not use anymore. I tried to remove this program Shopper Reports By Hotbar. I dont know who put it on but nothing happens when I hit remove. What The ???. Can someone help. I have xp pro. It says Last used on the 13/1/2006. But I have'nt used it or anyone else.
Cheers Paul

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Shopper by Hotbar
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Spiritsongs

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
 :)  Hotbar is a serious piece of spyware; if the Symantec
     Removal Tool does NOT work for you, I would encourage
     you to seek help on the forums of your antiSPYWARE
     provider or at www.landzdown.com .

efuniture

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:07:33 AM »
Thanks for that :'(  I went to the symantic site and downloaded the hotbar removal tool . It took ages to run through my programs and then told me it didnt find hotbar installed on my system. I checked in my programs and there it still is.?? I went to the other link and couldnt find any info so signed up so I could ask the question and I am still waiting to be activated.
Cheers Paul

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
Try this link, it also shows the registry entries it creates.
http://www.pchell.com/support/hotbar.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gene J

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 08:29:08 AM »
Restart in Safe Mode and run removal tool. This should solve the problem.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »

BTW, Gene ... welcome to the forums!    :)

efuniture

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 02:24:22 AM »
 :'( :'( I followed your advice and started in safe mode downloaded the removal tool and it ran through and this time came up with proceedure completed. I looked in my programs again and there it was smiling at me :-[. I ran spybot and it said 5 entries needed to be fixed and they were hotbar. The other site still hasnt accepted my registration yet and I went to the link you gave me David and there was a hotbar removal tool there but it wouldnt let me download it because of my security settings. So I dont know from here.
Cheers Efuniture.
ps I went to the registery keys and couldnt find any hotbar  references there that the site said there should be there? I am not very technical maybe a one and a half out of ten so be gentle on me ;D

Gene J

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:27 AM »
You couldn't find the registry keys because you got most of it when you ran the tool in Safe Mode.

Download the tool and place it in a convenient place such as your desktop. Restart in Safe Mode and go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all references to Hotbar. Run removal tool again in Safe Mode. Now do a scan while still in Safe Mode and remove all instances found. Restart your machine and all active references to Hotbar should be gone. See if this helps.

Thanks CharleyO. I stopped posting a year ago because of flaming in the off-topic forum. I now just drop by occasionally to see what's happening.

efuniture

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 01:29:40 PM »
Thanks guys,
By crikeys this one hung on by the teeth and was hard to dislodge. I did what was advised and saved the tool to desktop and booted in safe mode but the tool wouldnt show up on the desktop in safe mode, tried several times. Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up running the tool several times and the last time it came up with you have successfully removed hotbar from your system, I went to add/remove programs and deleted the entry there, then I ran spybot and yibbida yibbida thats all folks  ;D
Cheers Paul