Author Topic: Can't Scan with Panda ActiveScan!  (Read 9255 times)

Zagor

Can't Scan with Panda ActiveScan!
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:26:41 AM »
Has anyone had problems with the Panda ActiveScan in last 24 hours? When I start the download of ActiveX components everything goes nicely. Then start the download of the VirusDef files and at the end when all files are downloaded and progress bar fills up to 100%, everything stops and I get this message. When I try again the download of def files starts again from the scratch (which by the way last very long).

Error on downloading ActiveScan. An error has occurred downloading Panda ActiveScan. Please repeat the process. If the error occurs again, restart your system and try againPossible causes of this error are:

Not allowing the application's ActiveX control to be downloaded.

Problems with the Internet connection.

The error could be due to a download error or an installation error due to lack of hard disk space, privileges etc.,...

I'm using compatibile version of IE (ActiveX allowed), Dial-up connection flows excellent at the time.

Anyone has an idea?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:35:41 AM by Zagor »

Staind

Re: Can't Scan with Panda ActiveScan!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:07:10 AM »
Avast! and Panda do conflict (atleast use to) I'm not sure if they do now, but it might be that webshield is automatically blocking the Panda download?

Zagor

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:19:25 AM »
Nope!

Being aware of that (for a long time now) I disabled all resident providers.

Thanks Staind for suggestion. Anyone else with the idea?

jujubee

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:28:54 AM »
Zagor, do you also use TrendMicro Housecall?

Although I have not used ActiveScan recently, I have not had any problems using it before. However, I get a similar problem to yours when I use Housecall.

I'm wondering whether there is some conflict between these two online scanners. I doubt it, but I'm curious to find out your answer to my question above

Zagor

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 06:40:18 AM »
Hi jujubee  :)

Yes, I use Trend Micro + Kaspersky Online Scanner. Since yesterday Kaspersky had problems updating the defs (downloading on and on the same 15% of the update). But that was just for a short while, now it's ok.

I never used Panda before. This is the first time I've tried to install it. Why would there be conflict beetween I'm not sure (if there is a conflict)?

jujubee

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:46:41 AM »
I don't know if there is a conflict and I don't think there should be one.

Panda ActiveScan was the first online scanner that I used. When I tried to use Housecall, I have never been able to download the signatures. I can download the Active X or Java controls, but not the signatures. Like your problem with ActiveScan, I get an error saying that there could be an internet connection problem or what not.

Anyways, this is just a guess. If someone posts and says that they use Housecall and Activescan, it will prove my guess wrong.

Zagor

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:13:15 AM »
If someone posts and says that they use Housecall and Activescan, it will prove my guess wrong.

True.
If there is a conflict, I'm particularly interasted what files could cause the problem.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:30:20 AM »
Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses. These may be a fragment of the virus code. Although inactive and harmless, these definitions may be recognised by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. For this reason, most anti-virus and anti-spyware programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some programs do not encrypt their definitions and so will cause false alarms if used while a resident anti-virus program is active.

The most notorious are Trend Micro and Panda. If you receive a virus warning while using these products,it is not because they are trying to infect your computer with malware: they simply have unencrypted definitions and it is essential to disable any resident anti-virus before using them.

http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/antivir2.htm
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Zagor

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »
Thanks Frank, but as I said my resident protection is disabled because I was prepared for that possibility.

I don't know if there are temp files created first durind download. But something is stoping those files to access my computer. It looks like they are being downloaded but apparently they're not.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »
Are you using DropMyRights?

Zagor

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:00:03 AM »
No, I'm not.

What did you had in mind?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
Using a browser with DropMyRights will cause these ActiveX scans to fail. This is also true if you launch IE from Firefox if Firefox is running under DropMyRights.

Zagor

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
Aha.

This was regular IE action. And to be honest I think I don't use any tool for which I might get suspicious in regard of this matter.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
I got the same message with Panda, but when I clicked the retry button, it worked.  ???

Could be one of those weird glitches you just can't figure out.

Zagor

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 03:14:41 PM »
Maybe, but just frustrating (5-6 times for just one day). I will try again latter and I'l get back to you.

Thanks Frank  8)