Author Topic: AMS WiFi Scan Gone?  (Read 12753 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AMS WiFi Scan Gone?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
Even more silly...
It is not only visible after the speed check and I have to scroll down to see it even when I have my tablet in portrait.

And why do I have to run a speed check first ?

Two (or 3) visible buttons would make a lot more sense.
1 - Scan WiFi
2 - Test speed
3 - Do both

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
Why the hell would they make a speed test readily available and then bury the important network scanner amongst third party adverts. I had seen that and assumed it was one of those fake AV ads you see all the time. I guess Avast really is adware now. I have lost faith in them completely. How do we know what is real anymore?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
After the speed check, one of the "ads" that follows is the offer of a security check.
If you haven't told that, I would not even have seen the option (soon).
I too thought they where just promotions of other avast products and didn't scrolled down because I never expected the scan option to be there.
For sure something to change in the UI in my opinion.

I suggest...

At the top :
More by Avast - Storage - Smart Scan - Wi-Fi Check - Tools
Close underneath it the two (or 3) buttons like :
Scan Wifi - Test Speed - (Do both)
A little space  and then the promotion info

Ofcourse avast is commercial company and they need to make money.
I understand why and accept they promote their paid products.
The way they are doing it however for the last few years is chasing customers rapidly away.
It seems that those decision makers are death and blind for what is happening and refuse to change things. *SIGH*

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
Hello! After the WiFi has been scanned once and it has not changed, it cannot be scanned again (unless you use the separate WiFi Scanner app) because there isn't a need to.

I hope this answers your question :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »
After the WiFi has been scanned once and it has not changed, it cannot be scanned again (unless you use the separate WiFi Scanner app) because there isn't a need to
Yes there is a need to scan it again.
If not, avast would not know if things are changed or not.
So yes, avast is scanning things without any notification.
That is not what the users want.
To most of them it seems nothing is scanned.
Besides that, there is nothing wrong at all with a user initiating a manual scan.
Even if it is just to give them little peace of mind.

avast is more and more looking to things from the top down.
Guess what, you can't build a good house without a solid foundation.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
After the WiFi has been scanned once and it has not changed, it cannot be scanned again (unless you use the separate WiFi Scanner app) because there isn't a need to
Yes there is a need to scan it again.
If not, avast would not know if things are changed or not.
So yes, avast is scanning things without any notification.
That is not what the users want.
To most of them it seems nothing is scanned.
Besides that, there is nothing wrong at all with a user initiating a manual scan.
Even if it is just to give them little peace of mind.

avast is more and more looking to things from the top down.
Guess what, you can't build a good house without a solid foundation.
I am not saying that it isn't what the users want, I was just saying what I knew.
Sorry if you found it offensive in any way.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
Hi all,

just to let you know, we're aware of this UX issue and we're working on a fix. Our goal here was to offer users another feature to perform on their Wi-Fi and we unfortunately put it as it is and didn't realize there might actually be people who want to scan the Wi-Fi network again.

Thanks for all of your feedback, it'll get fixed :)

Ondra

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Hi guys,
this was really implemented in latest version of AMS and it was intended as a test. As we are optimizing flows and usability within the app, sometimes you can notice slight changes in UI or behavior of app. But now I can promise that in upcoming weeks we will change this back, or better said we will use similar 2-buttons approach as in Cleanup. You will be able to do both tests on one screen.

Tom (Product Manager)

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 04:39:43 AM »
Can you guys please remember what the app is for. I look forward to the fix. It will never be the great reliable app it was before version 5 destroyed it, but I guess that is what greed does to a once successful and trustworthy company. I have great memories of Avast when the apps weren't bloated and did what they were created for. So much better than the adware toys the developers provide now.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 03:18:25 AM »
Well, I waited weeks for the next update and despite the promises of a fix, there is still no option to scan wifi for security, just the useless speed check toy and a LOT more ads. So disappointed that you chose to ruin this app. Hopefully another company will start up soon like Avast was when it first started and actually provide apps that work and do what is required of them. It really saddens to me to see how greed and takeovers have ruined ALL of Avasts products now with little effort given to serious development. The AMS app is little more than Adware/Nagware now with customers having no idea if it actually protects their devices.

Why not return to version 4 and make it a one-off purchase? Think of all the billions you would make then, as well as going some way to restoring your reputation as a trusted provider of security apps rather than ad-filled toys as they are now.

Really, really disappointed and embarrassed as I used to recommend Avast to everyone. They all think I am crazy now! :)

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
Hi, the thing is that once your network has been scanned and is not dangerous, the wifi scan is replaced by the speed check. We are now thinking of having both buttons there (wifi scan and wifi speed check), so that is not confusing.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:37 AM »
We are now thinking of having both buttons there (wifi scan and wifi speed check), so that is not confusing.

Tom already promised that  back in June (see below), so what happened? I guess it's all about ad revenue now rather than keeping previous app features.

But now I can promise that in upcoming weeks we will change this back, or better said we will use similar 2-buttons approach as in Cleanup. You will be able to do both tests on one screen.

Tom (Product Manager)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:34:10 AM by Erebus »

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Hi guys,
apologies for delayed release. We found some blocker issues that delayed release. In 2 weeks (but I hope sooner) it will be released, feature itself is already developed and this is how it will look like. Please be patient.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
hermansky, Thanks.  That should satisfy everyone.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 03:23:22 AM »
I had an update available today, but still no wifi security scan on the wifi check screen, only the useless speed check. I guess the option still has not been replaced. Maybe next version?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:26:44 AM by Erebus »