Author Topic: Any way to turn the advertisements off?  (Read 6669 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Any way to turn the advertisements off?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 02:40:49 AM »
It will probably be more like once per day.

I sincerely hope not, refer to the comment from the friend I just recently recommended Avast to:
Quote from: developer friend of mine
... AVG has been showing at least one every day (sometimes more) which is ridiculous...
at this level we're obviously dealing with borderline irritants at this rate and as I've mentioned this is from a software developer who should be aware of the value and importance ads might theoretically benefit the marketing of a product versus the opposing potentially adverse "annoyance" factor put upon otherwise loyal users.  There's a tradeoff anyway you look at it and where that threshold goes from positive to negative as far as marketing models go is the question at hand.  Personally the way I look at it, if the conclusion is that ads must be used then maybe one every few days is plenty when one considers what we are talking about are ads that fast become familiar to the user within a short period of time.  Intellectually consider the fact that once a user has seen all possible alternative upgrades available to them over time any additional ads put upon the user as of that time that the user has been made aware continues to exponential rise the annoyance level to continual higher levels that reaches a stage that inherently portends a negative marketing trend as a result, that is just based on common sense logic.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 02:44:23 AM »
@lakrsrool,
The few ad's I get don't annoy me.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 02:59:38 AM »
@lakrsrool,
The few ad's I get don't annoy me.

That's great midnight, as we all know all persons are unique individuals and if you read my post on page one you would find:
Quote from: lakersrool
I can attest to literally many dozens of people I know who have stopped using Avast...
the concept here is a balancing act that impacts each person uniquely so where the threshold or annoyance versus compliance stands is uniquely relative as well.  The point of ads is to bring about additional paying customers nothing more, I have no idea where that threshold lies between prosperity and loss.  Business models surely vary, all I can do is attest to my experience involving the number of complaint I've gotten from those who I've recommended Avast to through the years and what they tell me.  You are different as we all are, so I'm not sure how relevant any one opinion actually is, but I will say that people like me who as I've said has via an academic environment recommended Avast to many thousands of users over a period of more than a decade did recently cease recommending Avast and I know for a fact many of those users I recommended Avast to have elected to use other AV providers as a result of recent marketing techniques used by Avast.  You or I and for that matter I venture to guess not even Avast themselves can be sure whether their business model approach over recent years has been working for or against them overall.

As I posted previously I am recently inclined to start back to recommending Avast once again because I've noticed a noticeable reduction in ads so I can only speak for myself and for those others who I've had contact with.  From my perspective Avast was on a wrong footing in recent years but thankfully appears to trending in a better direction more recently which from my perspective is a good thing.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
Please, not another novel. We've been over this topic and it is what it is.
Once per day isn't a problem. if it really bothers you, purchase the product,
learn to live with it or, find something that doesn't give you ads.
An alternative is available even if it's not as effective as Avast.
Your computer, your choice.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »
Right!
but for xp, avast is the only AV choice.
i moved from mse (Microsoft free no ad's at all ) to avast and 1ad/day does no harm  ;)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 03:55:16 AM »

Was this recommendation meant for me or for the number of people so far that I have been starting to finally recommend back to Avast which would inevitably continue to grow if these people turn out pleased with the results. I ask this because these are the people who have been concerned about the issue at hand just as much or more than I have actually.  And yes, the subject has certainly been covered ad nauseam no doubt but then as you can see topics on this specific subject continue to show up on the board nevertheless so one would have to conclude that the topic must be a user concern at some level beyond my opinion even if you're not willing to admit it.  And of course the only reason I even posted was because as we can see there was once again another one of these topics on the first page (not my topic mind you) discussing the subject so I thought I'd chime in since I've noticed positive results from Avast and have as a result started to once again recommend Avast.  I understand you don't care for me or my style, but that's not nearly as important as the reputation of Avast which you might consider to be more important than your personal animus toward any one poster that you might dismiss as irrelevant.  And let me say on the subject of a reputation, there is no doubt that Avast has engendered a negative reputation regarding ads in recent years as witnessed by numerous comparison reviews on the subject of AV software. If you like I can provide a number of links to reviews that all mention the frequency of Avast ads as compared to other AV programs which we would have to logically assume must be something that users actually do take into consideration when deciding upon what AV to use regardless of your seemingly supercilious attitude that all that really matters is your opinion it's not an issue when the fact of the matter is opinions on this topic are purely subjective in nature.  But then if I provided these links this would require you to have to read far more than you apparently care to, so I wouldn't want to burden you with that.  ;)  Frankly it is the less than helpful posts such as this that is the reason why to a large extent I tend to stay away from this forum.  I assure you the boards where I am a global moderator would not put up with similar types of attitudes from our moderators, but then this board as stated in your own succinct vernacular "is what it is" as you profoundly put it.  ;D Since it always seems that when I occasionally return to this board from time to time and ultimately often find topics on the first page on this same subject it makes me wonder if you might tend to get tired of giving this ever so insightful recommendation.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:47:11 AM by lakrsrool »