Author Topic: avast! does not scan incoming mail on secure connection.  (Read 2287 times)

almostfrugal

avast! does not scan incoming mail on secure connection.
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:06:37 AM »
I am running Windows XP Professional.  When I set my Outlook Express email account to use a secure connection (SSL) for my incoming mail (POP3) server, the port number is automatically changed from 110 to 995, and avast! no longer automatically scans incoming email.  When I set the POP3 server to not use a secure connection (the port number automatically changes back to 110), then avast! does automatically scan incoming email.  How can I use a secure connection and still get avast! to scan incoming email in Outlook Express?  Thanks for your help.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! does not scan incoming mail on secure connection.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
Yes, it is a known fact that the secure connection is not scanned. After all, that's why the encryption is there, right? (so that nobody can read the data - which includes the antivirus, I'm afraid).

It is possible (with the help of some external tools) to make the scanning of secure connections work, but it's not an easy thing: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! does not scan incoming mail on secure connection.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:40:38 PM »
Some more links on SSL, avast! and STunnel
Gmail and Avast Providers
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
Stunnel now comes as an installer which installs Open SSL and Stunnel so now you just have to download the installer version from here http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html
Secure connection with a Spam filter and avast!
How to handle the secure connection with a SPAM filter and avast!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:42:25 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security