Author Topic: Avast Premier - Too large  (Read 4427 times)

REDACTED

Avast Premier - Too large
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Hello,

I have a subscription to Avast premier which I have on my work netbook. I was slightly mis-sold the netbook but that's a different storey. It's only got a 30gb hard drive, and Avast Premier is taking up over 2gb of space. Is there any way to reduce the size of it? It's just too big for the amount of space I have available.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Premier - Too large
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
Only a 30Gb hard drive ?
That must be a real old netbook, or they have "scammed" you.
Netbooks come with drives (roughly) 250-500Gb

2Gb is normal for a av.
Only thing you can do when it comes to avast is to remove all components that you don't want/need.
But I doubt it will bring you much when it comes to get more free hard drive space.

If it is a used system, I recommend to install the OS, drivers and other things you need/want from scratch.
The longer a system has been used, the more rubbish there is on it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:27:57 PM »
I bought it in December from PC world. I knew the size of it, but they misled me on how much space windows would need. I literally only have outlook and a bespoke software on here, which don't take much space. I thought I would be able to expand the memory and ram but unfortunately not.

Will just have to see what I can trim down then.

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »
I have previously purchased several computers from PC World UK, unfortunately on multiple occasions their staff aren't always the best when it comes to selling a "PC". By the looks of it, you bought a sub-£200 laptop with 32GB/64GB eMMC storage. Am I right?  :)

If you have a spare £50-£65, you can buy a Samsung (1 or) 2TB external portable HDD (-https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8-). Or a slim design USB?

If you cannot, or plan to move around a lot, then I recommend utilising the cloud storage offered by Google. In particular, because they are flexible, offer the most value and provide good quality apps for Android and iOS. If you have a Google Account:

For documents and multimedia;
  • Google Drive (inc. Docs) and Gmail offer 15GB shared online storage.
  • Google Photos (App and Web) can be used without limited, if you upload photos in a compressed (reduced) format.
These settings are available on the Photos app or from their website (-https://photos.google.com/settings-).

For music, you guessed it, Google Play Music (Free) - signup requires CC / Address, but you will not be charged unless you go Premium. You can easily upload up to 50,000(?) songs (files) to their cloud, for free, which allows playback from Play Music app or from web / desktop (Chrome).

You may be able to reduce Avast, by not installing components you don't need, but that's your decision, since you bought a license.  ;D

Hopefully these tips will help in some way, and forget about the space occupied by Avast.

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »

2Gb is normal for a av.

What do you mean "2GB is normal for a AV"  ???? since when????

My NOD 32 has 116MB and MBAM 56MB on disk.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »

2Gb is normal for a av.

What do you mean "2GB is normal for a AV"  ???? since when????

My NOD 32 has 116MB and MBAM 56MB on disk.

This user isn't just using the avast AV but avast Premier, so more functions more space required.

As a point of interest the unpacked virus definitions (I believe speeds scanning) is 140MB, so I don't know how nod is only 116MB.

My avast free program folder is nowhere close to 2GB but 632MB, there are also other locations you need to count, ProgramData and System32 (but you have to pinpoint what files belong to it).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »
Well, this is the beauty of a well designed AV :P

See atachment

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »
Well, this is the beauty of a well designed AV :P

See atachment

I'm not doubting what you said. I can recall (from years ago) that it is easy to actually hide elements out of sight of explorer or in different folder locations. So it isn't easy to totally pin down just how big a footprint an av has.

Even the size of the installation file can be difficult to use as a guide, some use a stub installer very small and downloads required modules on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »
@claudiubotezatu - please check ProgramData as well ;)
@Devil - you may shrink it by uninstalling" several components that you can live without

Quality is also a feature.

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 12:40:01 AM »
403MB in program data, so 500MB all; still way less than 2GB

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »
Avast business cloud
- under program files 949Mb (disk space used 701Mb)
- under documents & settings 9Mb (5Mb on disk)

Although NOD appear to be smaller, it might not be.
Keep in mind that avast has a lot more things.
Firewall, network scanner, SafeZone Browser, software updater just to name a few things.