Author Topic: WTF.  (Read 3306 times)

Offline aractus

WTF.
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
Let me first say what settings I use: 1. game mode, 2. MANUAL update for program, 3. NOT participate in Avast community, NOT participate in data sharing.

Today AVAST! out of nowhere reinstalled its crapware into FireFox (AND activated it, instantly spying on my search terms) and which I can only remove with regedit, and worst of all changed my program settings to ...ASK updage for program when downloaded and ... YES participate in data sharing. WTF. I am beyond angry - how long has AVAST been invading my privacy? Why were these settings changed without my knowledge or approval? I have NOT updated the program - the version running is 11.2.2262.

If I don't get a satisfactory answer I'm deleting the program permanently. Invading privacy is NOT something I take lightly.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WTF.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
What was installed in FireFox ?
And no, avast is not spying on spying on your search terms (or anything else for that matter)

https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
I'm a user like you - but here is what I noticed.

If avast detects an error, it often does a repair under the covers. 
When this occurs, the settings are set to default, and the defaults may not be to your liking.

Best thing to do is backup the settings, and if you detect and verify this activity, you can
immediately restore the settings.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline aractus

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »
What was installed in FireFox ?
And no, avast is not spying on spying on your search terms (or anything else for that matter)

https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy
The bundleware crap that I've deleted 3 times already. I'm not even asked in FF if I want to activate it, it's automatically activated. But as I said, why were MY privacy settings changed in complete stealth at a time that I cannot determine? This is a huge breach of privacy, how can I trust their privacy policy when they've overridden my privacy settings in stealth? I want an answer I am still fuming about this. I'm absolutely furious.

Oh and I just restarted and now have the crapware "safezone browser" that I've already previously uninstalled and did not want installed again. Without any input from me. WTF?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:50:13 AM by aractus »