Author Topic: CyberCapture  (Read 133659 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CyberCapture
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
Actually, you do get a popup that file scanned by CyberCapture was clean (or bad). It's no silent, user gets notified about it.

But let me guess, the popup is the kind of that hides itself after short time? Like most of Avast popups do.
<snip>

There is nothing to stop you changing the default settings for popups, setting the duration to 0 (no limit) for the appropriate popup (Alert Popups).

You can also right click the avast tray icon and if you have a current popup message (not restarted avast or system) and select 'Show last popup message.'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »
There is nothing to stop you changing the default settings for popups, setting the duration to 0 (no limit) for the appropriate popup (Alert Popups).

Are you sure that works like you say? (0 = no limit?)

Because if I go and change the values of those popups, using 0 or over 180 values, the number(s) turn(s) to red. That, indicates to me that the value is not proper for these settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
Two questions about CC:
1.Are files uploaded through secure connection?
2.How many files do you get through this feature everyday?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »

Because if I go and change the values of those popups, using 0 or over 180 values, the number(s) turn(s) to red. That, indicates to me that the value is not proper for these settings.

Well it certainly used to be as many thought that by setting it at zero it would stop it from popping up. At the time avast mentioned that 0 was unlimited. I don't know if avast have changed that thinking.

There are some other setting in avast that 0 = unlimited, if you look (scroll down) in that image example I posted you will see the Virus Chest settings and the Max size has a note (0 means no limit).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »

Well it certainly used to be as many thought that by setting it at zero it would stop it from popping up. At the time avast mentioned that 0 was unlimited. I don't know if avast have changed that thinking.

There are some other setting in avast that 0 = unlimited, if you look (scroll down) in that image example I posted you will see the Virus Chest settings and the Max size has a note (0 means no limit).

But that setting clearly has the "0 means no limit" text unlike popup settings, and it doesn't turn red when set to 0. And if you add numbers to that value, eventually the number turns red (as well as the text box itself).

So I don't think that popups can be set to 0 (no limit).

It would be nice to get an "official" answer to this. Because if CyberCapture "clean" popups are hidden too after short amount of time, then it's IMO bad.

Is my "information/notification center" idea bad?

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Two questions about CC:
1.Are files uploaded through secure connection?
2.How many files do you get through this feature everyday?

Hi.

ad 1) yes it's encrypted via our specific protocol
ad 2) couple of thousands a day

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »

But that setting clearly has the "0 means no limit" text unlike popup settings, and it doesn't turn red when set to 0. And if you add numbers to that value, eventually the number turns red (as well as the text box itself).

So I don't think that popups can be set to 0 (no limit).

It would be nice to get an "official" answer to this. Because if CyberCapture "clean" popups are hidden too after short amount of time, then it's IMO bad.

Is my "information/notification center" idea bad?

From my experience, they seem to stay on screen forever until you confirm them. Which makes sense since it takes long time to get a response, you don't want them to go away while your computer is idling and you're not nearby...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:03 PM »
Hello jefferson sant,
the file looks to be clean -- some intro to a game.
Milos

Thank you Milos
Good hard to see the alert CyberCapture, as it features when the source is unknown is the file is submitted for analysis, it is more visible the Deepscreen the analysis of suspicious files,seen message that does not find any problem of that a detection.

The bug that needs to be fixed this

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=185086.msg1304496#msg1304496

REDACTED

« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if CC is still dependent on the file coming from an HTTP(S) connection captured by the Web Shield, or if it already supports the submission and analysis of files already present on the file system?

I'm just asking because I don't usually use the Web Shield.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if CC is still dependent on the file coming from an HTTP(S) connection captured by the Web Shield, or if it already supports the submission and analysis of files already present on the file system?

I'm just asking because I don't usually use the Web Shield.
IMHO, the only time someone would not use the WebShield is if the system is totally off line.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
I actually have a few reasons not to use the WebShield (in no particular order):
  • The WebShield intercepts HTTP(S) traffic before it reaches the browser and acts like a man in the middle that assures that the traffic is safe. This is good but it also introduces a few trust issues, specially when we consider HTTPS and its SSL chain of trust. And yes, I do know that I can just disable the WebShield for HTTPS but at that point it's kind of pointless to keep it just for HTTP with so much of the web traffic today being HTTPS based (which is a good thing, and in fact I even use the HTTPS Everywhere extension in my browser)
  • I have a feeling, at least a few versions back, that the WebShield causes some minor issues. Possibly because it inspects all HTTP(S) traffic, whether it comes from your browser or not (yet again, I do know that I can restrict it to look JUST into traffic coming from known browser processes). I often felt some overall system sluggishness, specially while browsing the web. I don't feel like slowing down my PC just because of it. Well, in fact, I'm unsure if the slowdown is noticeable or if it is just a placebo effect. But as long as I'm not risking (too much?) my security, I'm ok with gaining performance through a bit of placebo effect :P
  • I feel that the WebShield is somewhat pointless if the File System Shield does its job effectively. First of all I also have uBlock Origin on my browser with anti-malware filters, which should keep me away from most known sources of malware. Besides that, if the file happens to reach my file system, I'm counting on the File System Shield to alert me once it gets there, or at the very latest, whenever I try to execute something suspicious. I don't care (too much) if an infected file happens to reach my hard disk as long as it never gets a chance to get executed or harm my computer. Sure, I'm betting ALL on the last line of defense, but either way if the same file got to my computer by other means (other than an HTTP(S) download) I would have to rely on that protection as well.

I'll edit the list if something else comes to my mind. And I do know that this is somewhat off-topic, but given that CyberCapture seems to work with ONLY with the WebShield, I think that it's relevant to show the avast! team that there are valid reasons not to use the WebShield, and for the users that choose to do so this new CyberCapture technology is simply useless :(.

Also, just as a disclaimer, I'm currently NOT using Avast. I'm using Windows Defender on Windows 10 since the Anniversary Update. Not that I had any specific problem with Avast and the update. But I had a few other problems with drivers and one of the things I tried while troubleshooting was getting rid of Avast. So, for the last few weeks, I just kept Windows Defender running. I've yet to have any problems. In fact, I RARELY get any detection with ANY antivirus I use (I play it safe and I'm able to avoid most threats). Still, I somewhat feel that I would feel more at peace if I'd use a security product from a specialized vendor, such as Avast.

That was why I've been looking to get Avast back installed, but while I was thinking about it I decided to learn more about the Nitro Update and that was when I also learned about CyberCapture. I found this topic when I was searching about how did it work and I was kind of disappointed to find out that it wouldn't work for me since I usually only use the File System Shield. Therefore, the Nitro Update has actually decreased my theoretical level of protection, since before it I at least had DeepScreen with Avast NG enabled, but that was replaced with CyberCapture which only works with files that come from the web as detected by the WebShield. So, I've been considering just keeping Windows Defender for the time being. It seems "good enough", simple, unobtrusive and light (Avast now claims to be lighter than Windows Defender, but I'm a bit skeptical... maybe as light as, but surely not substantially lighter).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »
It's your computer and your choice. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2016, 04:52:49 AM »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2016, 09:32:35 AM »
Hello,
this is DeepScreen window, which runs before CyberCapture. From our backed we do not see that sample was downloaded (CyberCapture without URL condition is in development).

Milos

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
Hello,
this is DeepScreen window, which runs before CyberCapture. From our backed we do not see that sample was downloaded (CyberCapture without URL condition is in development).

Milos
Thanks for the info.But why DeepScreen not block this threat..?

FYI:I send this sample to viruslab via viruschest. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:28:22 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast