Author Topic: Forwarding problems  (Read 3605 times)

Chickadee

Forwarding problems
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:20:04 AM »
In forwarding a document to several people by BCC and sending the original to me, I've been getting the warning that it contains a potential virus.  I ran a scan twice and nothing was there, but each of these people received numerous emails while mine was quarantined.

I've never heard of this happening and I had to disable all scanning of mail.  Now what shall I do?

I'm using XP-Home
Avast has been updated

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Forwarding problems
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 11:01:14 AM »
What are you using as email client?
What are the settings for the mail scanner?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »
I think you have confused the message, not difficult it the heat of the moment with avast's alarm going off.

It sounds like (excuse the pun), the Heuristic checks of the email scanner may consider this suspicious, not that it contains a potential virus. You can check the Heuristic settings and adjust them as necessary to avoid this warning if you regularly send emails like this.

You shouldn't have to disable all scanning of mail, only the outbound scan or adjust the Heuristic settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zagor

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »
It sounds like (excuse the pun), the Heuristic checks of the email scanner may consider this suspicious, not that it contains a potential virus.

David's right, often mails are recognized as suspicious because of high heuristic scanning, i.e. when too many conecutive spaces are found in the subject of the message. This is anything but infectious.

You shouldn't have to disable all scanning of mail, only the outbound scan or adjust the Heuristic settings.

Only if you are a advanced user leave this setting on, otherwise you will only get confused.

Chickadee

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:37:58 AM »

Only if you are a advanced user leave this setting on, otherwise you will only get confused.

Thanks.  Now I feel better and will follow the 'easy' instructions.   :)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:49:36 AM »
I always do the easy....and get confused on them as well..... :)