Author Topic: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"  (Read 82416 times)

Offline stibi

Re: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »
A security suite purpose is to protect the user and not to offer remote assistance.
Exact - I don't need a kind of leatherman for 20 totally different purposes.

Everything that's not connected with malware like passwords, remote control, shopping (how crazy ist this in our environment?) etc..  should be removed from malware scanners.

The problem behind is that other products like AVG do the same and pack crap together for advertising and fishing for money.

I fear we must live with that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:26:44 AM by stibi »

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

+1

The "Remote assistance" function for many years make Avast the AV of choice for me, for all my relatives, and for many of my friends that rely on my ability to "fix" their Windows. Without it, Avast is a very regular AV that has many competing alternatives.

Exactly! That's a very good point. The remote assistance was THE outstanding feature which made Avast the AntiVirus solution of my choice.

Without the remote assistance Avast is just an ordinary Anti Virus Product like all the others!

Offline stibi

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Then you may use the older version...

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
+1.

I agree.

"Remote assistance" was the "Plus" that Avast had compared to the other products.

I hope you will go back quickly.

It's sure that I will have a look at the other antivirus now.

Stéphane (french user).

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »

Great! What an insubstantial answer:-(

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »

I actually attempted to install an older version on a friend's pc, today. None of the older versions had a checkbox for Remote Assistance. I even used Avastclear to remove the installed Avast version.

Count me among those who are disappointed with this decision. I have an extended family I provide tech support for (no charge). I have Avast installed on all of their computers---some use the free version, others have opted for a paid subscription.

Several changes over the years have prompted me to consider another AV. SafePrice addon (before it was optional), SafeBrowser install (without even asking--and with some rather disturbing security issues), Cleanup added to the free version (simply to pop up an enticement to upgrade---it didn't actually work in the free version), etc.

I don't begrudge Avast a way to make money, and/or promote upgrading to users of their free version. But some of the methods ("Your Firewall is Disabled!") seem a bit unscrupulous. for a security company trying to maintain a good reputation.

I have an idea. Why not make the Remote Assistance available in the paid version? Clearly there are many who use it, and it might give some free users an actual reason to upgrade. I'd force all my relatives to pay $30, or so, for this feature.  Yes, I know there are other options. But if you ever had to do computer support for the elderly, and other completely unsavvy computer users, you might appreciate what a bonus this simply remote application has been.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
I actually attempted to install an older version on a friend's pc, today. None of the older versions had a checkbox for Remote Assistance.

But the previous Version V 11.2.2262 had this checkbox for sure. Maybe you just have overseen it.

But I strongly believe that it's not recommendable to use older Versions of AntiVirus applications due to security reasons.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 01:51:09 AM »
As Alikhan stated above TeamViewer is an excellent alternative. And it's free for individual use.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
I was thinking of trying Teamviewer out but reading this on the BBC's website has put me off trying it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36459015

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
Teamviewer is not an option for me.

The people I'm giving IT support for are family members who are elderly and they don't have smartphones so even though the two step sign-in would be useful in providing an extra layer of security their phones can't recognise the QR code generated.

I really think Avast have underestimated the amount of people who were using the "Remote Assistance" feature, I'm sure many other people who are currently using it are going to be in for a nasty shock as this update gets rolled out automatically over the coming weeks.

I just hope they realised they've made a mistake in removing this extremely useful feature and put it back into Avast in a future version.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
Yes, we all know that there are many other options to perform remote assistance. But this is not the point here, this discussion here is drifting a bit away from it.

Let me repeat:

Avasts remote assistance was by far easier to use and understand than other tools like Teamviewer, especially for the people receiving a remote assistance, which are mainly no computer savvy elderly people. And, not to forget, there was no need to install and explain another application

That's the reason why we would like to have back the very handy Avast solution.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
There are other options then TeamWiewer

http://www.howtogeek.com/170740/the-best-tools-to-easily-perform-remote-tech-support/
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/remote-access/tp/free-remote-access-software.htm

It's nice you are trying to provide options. But IMO, if TeamViewer isn't going to work for someone, one of these other tools isn't likely to, as their interfaces/setup are even more challenging. One that is quite a bit easier to use is https://www.join.me/, but I find it to be a steaming pile of fail.

I believe cautela has it right. We know there are alternatives, but the Remote Assistance of Avast was the best tool for many of us. Maybe I'm the suspicious type, but when a feature component is removed (and not simply disabled for the free version), I have to believe there are reasons that haven't been mentioned.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
Maybe I'm the suspicious type, but when a feature component is removed (and not simply disabled for the free version), I have to believe there are reasons that haven't been mentioned.
Lots of problems, many did not get it to work

Search forum for > Remote assistance