Author Topic: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"  (Read 82408 times)

REDACTED

Re: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 11:44:34 PM »
So surprised to see such a solidarity for RA here!
Seriously, the service was totally underused, we typically only had a few dozens of concurrent RA sessions at a time (compare this to the 200+ million of Avast AV users).

But alas, I do see your point. I think it was a really good idea in the beginning, we just felt a bit embarrassed about its actual implementation and so we decided to get rid of it. As you probably know, it was causing a lot of issues and was quite slow (at least compared to the industry-leading solutions like LogMeIn, TeamViewer etc).

Here's our current thinking about this whole thing: instead of spending all the engineering resources and building our own custom solution, we'd rather partner with someone who's an expert in the field, and who has a top-notch product that we could integrate into Avast.

What do you think about that?

Cheers,
Vlk

I think it is a great idea---or at least better than nothing. Thank you for considering other options.

What many posters here don't seem to comprehend is, for seriously computer illiterate users, this was an extremely easy solution that required no extra installs. It is far easier to ask my 80-year old aunt to click on the "big orange blob" on her desktop, and talk her through giving me a code, than talking her through a TeamViewer install or Windows remote session. I regularly use TeamViewer for clients, and think it is a great tool. But for many, not having to go through a separate install, and the simple Avast interface is a better solution.

It should no longer surprise me that younger, tech savvy, folks have little empathy for those who are older and/or less tech savvy.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2016, 12:24:40 AM »
Some of us are actually Not young but still Tech Savvy. I primarily deal with Seniors so,
the simpler the interface the better and the fewer problems arise while helping the person with a problem. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline cehdesigner

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 01:36:20 AM »
I am very sorry avast has dropped remote assistance because I have promoted avast to all my customers because it had remote assistance and one of the best internet security's systems out there and it made it very simple to connect to my customers pc's. I work on customers all over the US!!! Now I got to go back to turbo meeting which is more complicated to use!! I guess I will stop offering avast to my customers!!!!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:10 AM »
I am very sorry avast has dropped remote assistance because I have promoted avast to all my customers because it had remote assistance and one of the best internet security's systems out there and it made it very simple to connect to my customers pc's. I work on customers all over the US!!! Now I got to go back to turbo meeting which is more complicated to use!! I guess I will stop offering avast to my customers!!!!

Which other anti-virus suite offers remote assistance?

It's got nothing to do with tech-savvy in my opinion, however, I would agree it has been convenient for some users to just rely on Remote Assistance and not install any third party tools on users they are required to help.

I still stand by original point though that Avast have made the correct decision of removing it from a security suite.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline cehdesigner

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 04:20:16 AM »

It's got nothing to do with tech-savvy in my opinion, however, I would agree it has been convenient for some users to just rely on Remote Assistance and not install any third party tools on users they are required to help.

I still stand by original point though that Avast have made the correct decision of removing it from a security suite.

I don't know any other anti-virus that does and that is one of reasons I have supported avast because I can kill to birds with one stone. Most of my customers are not Tec savvy that is why I used avast. When I used Turbo Meeting  I have to send an email to invite them, then they have to go to the link I sent them and go through the process to download the exe file and then install it and then enter the number and password to join my meeting!!! That could take up to 10 to 15 minutes!! I am sorry but it has made my life a little easier because I can spend up to 4 to 6 hours on line with a customer!! That is the reason I got on the site today is because a customer from Penn. called me, he was having trouble with his pc after avast updated and he couldn't get avast to turn on! I told him to restart his pc (he had to restart it 2 times before he got it to work). Then I told him I need to get on his pc to check it out and we found out neither one of us had remote assistance any more!!!!!! Oh by the way I am in Alabama!!! My customer got very upset when he found out. I believe that is one of the reason that set avast apart from the others!!!!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »

Guess all of your friends and relatives are tech savvy ??? Lucky you. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »

Guess all of your friends and relatives are tech savvy ??? Lucky you. :)

Actually not all of them are but I use TeamViewer for them if any issues arise.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Machete

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
I have to agree with pretty much everybody in both of these threads, please give it back to us, even if it's in the same state as it was before that update. I have used it constantly, and the only troubles I've ever had with it were VERY minor, and didn't really cause problems that asking my friend or family member to click on a button on their side didn't fix.

And, while I know there are a LOT of alternatives, none are as trusted among my circle of friends and family, nor as simple for them to use.

Offline Elliot Labs

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
I use remote assistance very frequently to great success. I was sad to see it removed in the current version of Avast and I would also like to see it placed back into avast.

The remote assistance module is one of the MAIN reasons that I recommend this anti virus solution (besides it being good at protecting users and free). The vast majority of my clients use Avast adn with remote assistance they find it very helpful as they are able to get almost instant support.

Also, I have not had any issues with the remote assistance module personally or with clients (unless their firewall was too aggressive).

Thanks!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2016, 03:15:33 AM »
Hi Guys :)

I have to support this request : Most and for all for the Senior people I help.
Yes, I can switch to another solution ( like TeamViewer ), but Avast Remote Assistance was already there and so easy to use.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:18:27 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
So surprised to see such a solidarity for RA here!
Seriously, the service was totally underused, we typically only had a few dozens of concurrent RA sessions at a time (compare this to the 200+ million of Avast AV users).
But what you expect for the feature that is really needed a few times in a year for a few minutes? A year has 525600 minutes in it, you know. So "a few dozens of concurrent RA sessions" is a great sign of the RA usefullness, for me.

Once bump in that your relative need help and there is no more "remote assistance" where it always was before, is really a big pain. And you do this pain.

Yes, there is many instruments for professional remote control, that work faster and maybe are more stable (i personally never has any issues with Avast RA other than a little slow reaction). The TeamViever is a very good example. But:
  • It is a separate installation that now i need to do (mostly via phone) for every my relative and for some friends.
  • There is no more reason for me and all this persons to stay Avast loyal customers.
  • And for sure without RA feature i never convince any user to migrate to Avast from an other AV solution he may have installed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:41:34 PM by yhorror »

REDACTED

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2016, 03:56:31 AM »
I never complain about a free service but this is horrible news for three elderly relatives that I help in other cities. I put Avast on their computers specifically because it was the only remote assistance that they would not freak out about. I did not even know it was removed until I went to help a elderly relative tonight. Please have a heart and put it back on. Thanks in advance.

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2016, 09:00:51 PM »
I used Remote Assistance almost every day with my clients, it is far better than the one in Windows or TeamViewer. Please bring it back.

+1

REDACTED

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »
Then you may use the older version...

The older version does not issue a code. I tried that last night.

By the way does anyone else have a hard time reading the letters in the verification? It sometimes takes me 3 attempts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
<snip>
By the way does anyone else have a hard time reading the letters in the verification? It sometimes takes me 3 attempts.

The Captcha function to be effective has to be difficult for spambots to get through.

It is only for your first three posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security