Author Topic: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"  (Read 82415 times)

REDACTED

Re: Please bring back the "Remote assistance"
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:10 AM »
@Pondus
TeamViewer is available NOW
Sure it is, there are just few gotchas. It's not free for commercial use and it's not installed NOW on my client's PCs. The reason why it's not there is (or better was) that AVAST had such functionality.

@Alikhan
With respect, I disagree. It doesn't "need" to be included in Avast - it's not a security feature.

Avast see statistics and they can tell - it's not used on a high enough scale with millions of users.

Agreed, it's not a security feature and as such it does not have to be necessarily included in AV program. But it was there and it was the main reason why we chose AVAST over other solutions (even if the license renewal for the previous solution was cheaper than to buy a completely new network AV solution, maintenance was easier and so on...). We paid for it, so damn it we want it!!! And I don't give a ... about some statistics and that some really "enlightened deep thinker" came to a conclusion it wasn't used high enough. Ofc it was not, it's not a daily task to need/provide remote support.
What strange world do you live in? Your logic "Big Brother sees the statistics and Big Brother can decide what's good for you" is really fantastic. No, it's not like that - RA worked well for us (no matter if it was bit slower or not), it was advertised as one of the main AVAST features and for us it was a decisive factor to buy AVAST multilicense. It's no longer there and since newer Windows versions contain built-in Windows Defender (and I don't want to start the flame here if some AV is better/has more features than another), there is no need to install and maintain another AV (let's say all my users very rarely visit sites with adult content, so the risk of infection is quite low, their data are being backed up on a regular basis etc.).
Anyway, if they decided to remove it, much more correct approach would be to warn users in advance and let them to react to the new situation (instead of popping up all the time all kinds of annoying "security improvement suggestions"). Instead they just quietly and suddenly removed it without a single word. This is unacceptable and such company can no longer be trusted.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:23:37 PM by pavelp »

REDACTED

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2016, 04:05:10 PM »
I would never demand that RA be put back but I'm requesting in a polite way that you guys consider putting it back. I do not have any clients to help but I do have some out of state elderly relatives that freak out over their computer not working. They are not very good with technology so getting them up to speed with Team Viewer is not an option for me. I think Avast is great. I want us all to stay with Avast. If RA could be put back that would make things much easier on my family. Thanks in advance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
Hi guys, in case you want to vote on it, see: Reply #35
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?msg=1321072
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
Hi guys, in case you want to vote on it, see: Reply #35
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?msg=1321072

Thanks For that.  I used this quite a bit, and it was so nice telling my clients "Never install remote control programs from anyone that calls you".  Helped keep a bunch of my clients from getting scammed.

REDACTED

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2016, 11:17:44 PM »
The whole point of having an intagrated remote assistance feature is to solve problems FOR the end user. I have hundreds of clients that purchased AVAST because of this feature, allowing me to remote in to fix issues, some of those issues are security related like malware removal, and setting a boot scan for my client.

The remote assistance feature was drop dead easy to use, unlike windows, imaging a total novice downloading team viewer and installing it setting it up (10 to 15 min), while support waits on the phone. This causes delays and frustration on both ends. Simply because AVAST pulled the plug on a feature, rather than make it optional, I am going to start reccomending other Antivirus software.

I see, desktop gadgets, software upgrades, router security, password management, DNS checking, secure browsing, all seem to be essiential. I turn these off during the install since I never use them. 

The one item I use daily was remote assistance.

So long AVAST.

Offline stibi

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
Simply because AVAST pulled the plug on a feature, rather than make it optional, I am going to start reccomending other Antivirus software.
And that other software has remote features?

Offline calmurilo

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

Please Avast, bring back the "Remote assistance"!

I'm a computer technician, recommend AVAST to my clients and I used Remote assistance for assist them. Now I have to use a third party tool again. More one software, more one third party account and explanation that I will have to use a unknow tool! AVAST Remote assistance was trustable for avoid that kind of explanation.

I think the problem is not that people didn't use it, the problem is they didn't know about the tool and used other tools. If the AVAST window message showed tricks about AVAST tools, I think the tool would be more used. I used to use Remote assistance at home to command my media server PC and teach some clients to do the same.

I have a sugestion to not remove the tool, that is change the way how it is used. As I understood, the problem is the need of a server side service, if it was peer to peer, doesn't would cost nothing to the AVAST Software Group, just a few modification would be needed.

So... Bring  AVAST Remote assistance back!

Offline cehdesigner

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:49 AM »
I been on the phone for two hours trying to help a customer who is a tug boat captain and he is on his boat! normally all I had to do is use RA and take care of the problem (turbo meeting wont work with Wi-Fi on the boat!!!). So I hope avast will bring it back!!

Offline winactive

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Avast devs feel free to add unwanted tuneup modules, home security scanners and password managers that are nothing to do with core AV.

However, one useful implementation of a feature - Remote Assistance, feel free to strip it out claiming it is not core AV.

REDACTED

« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:51 AM »
RA was one of the main reasons I purchased AVAST. It was easy to use and my elderly parents were able to understand it OOB. I was able to use it in various locations around the world as I traveled with the military and help my wife and children with any issues. Now that that feature is no longer, I no longer see a need to maintain a loyalty to the product.  As everyone has already stated, even though this was a seldom used feature by the majority - a small marketing campaign could have solved this problem.   :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
totally agree - this was a really useful tool.  reason given to remove it is that it was underused.  not by me and my family who all found it really useful. maybe not used every day but invaluable when bailing out non-tech savvy relations.

REDACTED

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
While Avast is a great program, the deciding factor for me and the key selling point for the CEO, was the RA feature.  It may have been under-utilized by the majority of users, but it was also very poorly marketed.  Running IT for a small business, this tool provided me with so many options through a KNOWN, SECURE product.  I have heartily recommended Avast for years, but now I am going to look at other options.  The most disappointing thing is that I had my accounts set to auto-renew based on the understanding that the product would be the same, if not better. I feel that I am now paying for less and am not happy that such a change was made without any notification.
What a bummer! :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
The weird thing to me is some people said RA was too difficult or did not work. It was as simple a program as I have found and it always worked for me. I found out about RA from a youtube video showing how to help elderly relatives not from Avast themselves. That is why I switched to Avast from my previous virus protection.

REDACTED

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:33 AM »
Remote assistance, scanning browser add-ons and scanning for outdated software are 3 features that have kept me coming back to AVAST despite it's aggressive "free support" that attempts to trap users into paying $219  >:( for a year's support.

I am certain that AVAST is very aware how much Remote Assistance is used as we log on through it. Each time we successfully support someone, that's one less chance for "free" support to get their claws into someone. It has provided much more reliable connection for my clients than Team Viewer did. I also honor Team Viewer's request not to use it for clients. Their $900/year cost is prohibitive for this small scale user.

I will certainly be looking at other AV programs if Avast does not return Remote Assistance. It's small peanuts to them, but I probably have 50 to 100 folks using Avast on my recommendation.

REDACTED

« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2016, 12:24:49 AM »
Post 35 lists a German survey. This is how Google translates the survey

Wollt ihr die Fernunterstützung zurück..!?   
Do you want the remote support back .. ! ?

Ja, unbedingt, habe die Funktion regelmäßig genutzt.
Yes, absolutely , the function was used regularly.

Nein, dieses Tool hat in einem AV nichts verloren.
No, this tool does not belong in an AV

Ist mir eigentlich vollkommen egal.
Is actually completely irrelevant to me.

Only 45 people have replied to the survey that was created by a user. Please visit Reply 35 and help our voices to be heard..

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187825.0

Supposedly the decision was made on the basis of Telemetry. We don't agree.