Poll

Would you like pre-link AV scanner addon from avast?

Yes
16 (88.9%)
No
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Avast Web pre-link AV scanner addon? Vote please...  (Read 3992 times)

Zagor

Avast Web pre-link AV scanner addon? Vote please...
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »
I decided to post the issue that me and polonus were disscusing in private, for all forums people to see.

You all know the Dr.Web's pre-link scanner addon for browsers. In short terms. it is a AV service from a remote server that is enabling you to scan the links against malware (viruses) before you visit them. There is no need of installing the AV application because the remote server is offering his engine with virus definitions. So there is no eaten space on your hard drive and no wasted time on updates.

My question is will avast consider something like this. I would like to hear you opinions?

With respect, Zagor

crofty59

Re: Avast Web pre-link AV scanner addon? Vote please...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »
Yes I personally would like pre-link scanner as a add on in Avast.

I use Dr.Web's pre-link at the moment and I have used it ever since i found a link to it here in a post  on this forum.

Cheers Peter ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »
Definitely yes, my dear forum friends, my point of view on this matter is known as a matter of fact. It is a small add-on, that delivers additional security before surfing someplace or evaluating a download of some sort. And it is a two-way thing, a good service for both parties concerned, additional security for the end-user, a good insight in what is scanned and how your definitions stand in the real theater, plus it is good for the relation AV product and the end-user.
It was just a great idea of Eugene Kuzin, the developer of the service for IE, Opera, Firefox, and Flock browser. Actually speaking I would not like to use a browser when I do not have this free service just one click away.
Until the day Avast has a similar service, here is the link for the new Firefox and Flock browser add-on: http://info.drweb.com/show/2715

polonus
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:24:26 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 06:09:19 PM »
Yes, why not  8) ;)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 11:45:28 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully, the Awil team will concider this.    :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 12:13:05 AM »
Hi Malware Fighters,

Why this is such a helpful tool is, because of the way criminal investigations goes on to-day via proposed remote hyper links, where you have "funny" content built in that silently scans your comp for passwords, on-line banking information and other critical data. A remote link can stay a remote link in this way, it can be pre-scanned without any risk,and you know where you should not click or go beforehand.
Again do not go to links that are proposed, even if this seems to come from your best friends.
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!