Author Topic: com.avast.proxy massive upload?  (Read 9115 times)

REDACTED

com.avast.proxy massive upload?
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
Hello,
My internet speed ground to a crawl and when I checked "Activity Monitor," I saw that "com.avast.proxy" was uploading gigabytes of data.  Why?
Thanks,
tom

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: com.avast.proxy massive upload?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
As its name states - com.avast.proxy is a proxy process, so it does not generate any traffic on its own, it only passes through traffic of other processes. So when searching for the origin of that traffic, you have to find the process producing the traffic. (Also note, that the "Activity Monitor" shows the traffic twice as it counts together the internal traffic between the origin process and the proxy and the traffic between the destination server and the proxy).

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
after reading all available info on this problem i still have the problem of my browser - firefox, loading websites slower.
i understand now what the role of the proxy is, but it seems that the process is taking up all the available data, so that firefox is working very slowly all the time. i may not fully understand why the proxy is what it is, but is there a way to stop this, so firefox has the usual acess speeds?

thank you for your patience

ps: by running slowly i mean its struggling to load a youtube video set to the lowest possible quality, so if that doesnt explain my annoyance....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:25:26 PM by samokosir1 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
You can disable the Webshield in Avast preferences, if you have such big issues. There is naturally always some "performance penalty" when the webshield scanns the HTTP/HTTPS traffic, but it should never be that huge as you describe it. Most probably, there is something broken on your system, but more info would be required to find out what.

- Are there any interresting log messages in the system log file (see Console)?
- Are some processes eating up 100% CPU (see Activity Monitor)?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
Start Firefox in safe mode and see if it makes a change.
If it does, it is likely a add-on you have installed that is causing it.