Author Topic: Registration Avast Home Edition 4  (Read 9069 times)

Gwen

Registration Avast Home Edition 4
« on: December 04, 2003, 01:44:35 AM »
I really need a quick answer if someone has one please.

I have downloaded, installed, run Avast Home Edition (Free) v 4.

Running Win XP

I keep trying to Register the application but it keeps telling me that my E-Mail address - the only one I use - is "Incorrect".  Have experienced this sort of thing before in other programs and I have yet to figure out why I keep getting a rejection.

It's really quite upsetting. Any clues?

Thanks,

Gwen

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Registration Avast Home Edition 4
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 02:50:45 AM »
I don't mean to sound insulting, I've done this myself quite a few times.

Double- and triple-check that you're not hitting the wrong key in the process?  Heaven knows how many times I've hit the comma instead of the period -- and still can't see it for looking after I get an "invalid format" rejection.  :o  Eventually (hopefully) the light DOES finally dawn so I can quit blushing and cussing and do it right.  ;)

And who knows, maybe someday the Internet will fall into line with what's left of my brain and we WILL have comma-com and comma-net addresses accepted as valid.  :D
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Walker

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 03:03:54 AM »
Have experienced this sort of thing before in other programs and I have yet to figure out why I keep getting a rejection.

Gwen,

I too have had this problem from time to time, it used to be because I have a ' - ' (dash) in my e-mail address and some systems do not like it. The dash isn't causing me any problems with Adwil, but do you have any unusual(ish) characters in your address.

Also have you ever registered a previous version of Avast and are using the same name e-mail address again (guessing here  :) )

The Adwil Admin will give you a definative answer to what is happening with your registration. Why not send them a direct e-mail at support@avast.com if you don't get an answer here.

Good luck

Gwen

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 07:14:26 AM »
I don't mean to sound insulting, I've done this myself quite a few times.

Double- and triple-check that you're not hitting the wrong key in the process?  Heaven knows how many times I've hit the comma instead of the period -- and still can't see it for looking after I get an "invalid format" rejection.  :o  Eventually (hopefully) the light DOES finally dawn so I can quit blushing and cussing and do it right.  ;)

And who knows, maybe someday the Internet will fall into line with what's left of my brain and we WILL have comma-com and comma-net addresses accepted as valid.  :D

Thanks Mike...however this is way off in left field...not the problem...reur comment about not wanting to sound insulting: Insults are to be given not taken.  So I don't. :-)

You mean well.  We are working on a resolution to my little problem...unless I reach room temperature before it gets resolved, or I dump the programme and go back to what did work for me over many moons..I'll just have to wait and see what gives.  

Thanks!
Be safe
Keep well
Live lightly

Gwen

Gwen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 07:22:27 AM »
Have experienced this sort of thing before in other programs and I have yet to figure out why I keep getting a rejection.

Gwen,

I too have had this problem from time to time, it used to be because I have a ' - ' (dash) in my e-mail address and some systems do not like it. The dash isn't causing me any problems with Adwil, but do you have any unusual(ish) characters in your address.

Also have you ever registered a previous version of Avast and are using the same name e-mail address again (guessing here  :) )

The Adwil Admin will give you a definative answer to what is happening with your registration. Why not send them a direct e-mail at support@avast.com if you don't get an answer here.

Good luck

Thanks loads Walker...took your advice and have been working with Admin. to resolve it.
My computer has so much security programmed into it that it is a virtual stealth fighter plane! LOL

There are web sites that I visit where I have to register one application or another that I've downloaded and installed only to have my Email address rejected without futher explanation, and that's the rub...it's always in the details you know...

But then my computer O/S is hell bent on working for Microsoft which I subject to!  LOL
Don't you ever get that warm fuzzy feeling that Bill Gates designed Windows XP so that he had on tap a huge source of cheap labour , namely US? I do.

I've been working with computers since 1978..DOS, Win 3.0, 3.l, 95, 98, XP, Linux..I teach a course in using computers at a couple of Seniors Residences so I'm not a Newbie at this business, it isn't brain surgery, but that wouldn't stop me either.  LOL

BTW, just because I said all of the above by no means implies I know a lot about a lot re computer software/hardware because I'm still a Novice even after all these years.  

It's what keeps this old gray mare young! I'll just keep trucking...

Be well
Keep safe
Live lightly

Gwen

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 07:29:54 AM by Gwen »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 05:51:37 PM »

But then my computer O/S is hell bent on working for Microsoft which I subject to!  LOL
Don't you ever get that warm fuzzy feeling that Bill Gates designed Windows XP so that he had on tap a huge source of cheap labour , namely US? I do.

Be well
Keep safe
Live lightly

Gwen

Getting slighly off-topic here, but couldn't resist Gwen's comment.  And hopefully I edited this quote right, was trying to get rid of everything except her own current post and save just the pertinent part of that.

Gwen, your comments about XP pretty much match my own gut feelings about it.  I've never heard anyone else put it this way before, but my own opinion is that XP is just barely out of the beta stage, if it's even gotten that far, and MS/Gates had one heckuva nerve selling it as a full-blown commercial product with corresponding pricing.  It's easily set a new record for the number of critical-upgrade patches required.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 06:50:38 PM »
Interesting... it may sound heretic but I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed with XP (or W2K3Srv) and I really do think it's a very nice piece of software... :-\ Maybe it's because I only see the kernel, and not the stuff around it (that makes up 99% of the final size, really)...

But it's a matter of point of view - I guess I'm biased.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.