Author Topic: avast! Emergency Update.job wrecks my Task Scheduler service  (Read 11150 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! Emergency Update.job wrecks my Task Scheduler service
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 01:23:43 AM »
Hi, we are fixing this. It's only slightly more complicated as the mechanism we would choose is the "emergency update",  the same thing that is broken here. (only on Windows XP though).

Please, wait one more day, the fix is going to be delivered with the vps update. It will however require a reboot.

Offline glnz

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 01:46:10 AM »
Lukor - Thanks.
Please also advise how we should check that our Tasks folder is correct.  Using attrib in SafeMode, I had to change it from System to Normal to erase the original avast! Emergency Update.job, then using attrib changed it back to System, but I'm not sure that the Tasks folder is back in its original condition.  Please advise.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline glnz

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »
Lukor - I just checked, and MAYBE it's already working.  Hard to say 100%, but looks better. 

A reboot with sfc /scanonce did NOT show the Error 5 error message in System, and my test task worked. 

Also, in Task Scheduler, when I right-clicked on avast! Emergency Update.job and hit "Run", I saw Avastem.exe as a process in my task manager (for a second).

But I still ask for advice how to make sure my Task folder is back to good (special) condition.

What do you think?
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:29 AM »
lukor: I've just rebooted and had a look - seems like everything is back to normal now, both the aforementioned boot error entry gone and the prefetching operating as usual again. And once again I had to revert to last known good for a proper boot-up for one time for whatever odd reason... :)

Thanks for the fixing & greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And if I may add a suggestion: For my taste, if one does a custom installation, there should be a bit more help/information regarding the purpose and function of the different program modules.

Offline glnz

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 04:27:01 AM »
lukor - two questions -

1)  Is Tasks working because Avast fixed something?  Or just chance or sfc / scanonce?

2)  I think Tasks was a very special folder and maybe I need to fix it.  In order to erase the bad avast! Emergency Update.job, I had to change the attrib of Tasks to -S.  After, I changed it back to S.  But is that enough?

Thanks.

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:16 PM »
1) It was fixed on our side.
2) Windows XP has very simple scheduler (unlike Vista+). I think it's more than enough.

Offline glnz

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »
Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
Hi there!

I'm sorry to report that on my Windows 2003 server the same problems occured. I deactivated Self Defence and now the task planner works again. My Avast installation is the most recent one, Avast Update tells me -  version 12.1.2512

Does your fix only work on XP, is Server 2003 different?

Greetings from Augsburg, Germany!

Stefan

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0