Author Topic: Windows security alert And Avast automatic update  (Read 3218 times)

jiugiusto

Windows security alert And Avast automatic update
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:45:13 PM »
Hi,

I have Avast set to automatic update (and upgrade). Since I am on wifi connection (on my 3 pcs), Avast isn't updating automatically and Windows is giving me an alert that my Avast is not set to update automatically.

Pls advise.

Thanx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows security alert And Avast automatic update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:55:44 AM »
But, besides the automatic configuration, can you manually update?
If not, you have a proxy setting trouble or a firewall block.

The following programs should be allowed to connect through your firewall:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)
The best things in life are free.

jiugiusto

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:28:23 PM »
Hi,

I can update and upgrade manually.

cedesguin

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »
About update errors with wifi, specially when WPA or WEP authentication is used, Avast seems to be unable to wait until the connection is established (it may take one minute or so).

I suggest to add to the wish list an automatic delay when a "try-to-connect" process is detected, preventing Avast from sending annoying error messages during the start up phase.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »

I do not know if this will work for wifi or not but try setting the timeout higher as shown in the picture below. The 180 should give 3 mins but you can set it higher if need be.

I hope this helps you.    :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:21:50 PM »
Avast seems to be unable to wait until the connection is established (it may take one minute or so) ... preventing Avast from sending annoying error messages during the start up phase.
No, it's not.
avast allow changging (or adding) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.

You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Welcome to the most configurable antivirus round  8)
The best things in life are free.