Author Topic: Avast! HIPS  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Avast! HIPS
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:13:21 AM »
Seriously Avast! HIPS need real function.It was introduced long time ago and after that small changes only worked.We need a fully functional HIPS.Anyone can give their valuable feedback comments on Avast! HIPS.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast! HIPS
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »
No feedback??
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »
Hi Be Secure,

In my view, HIPS (as a whole) is a 1990's technology (OK, maybe 2000's) and has always been designed as sort of last line of defense but in reality, it only brought marginal help to more powerful protection technologies.
So, to be honest with you, instead of further investing in it, I'd much rather get rid of it altogether, but we will only do that if we're sure it's completely superseded by new innovative technologies like CyberCapture.

Our strategy moving forward is going to be "less is more", in the sense that we will only want to invest in things that are actually making a real difference. And with HIPS, I don't quite see the potential (especially in a product that strives to be usable by mainstream population).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Be Secure

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Yes.It kind of useless(doing nothing for protection):( Hope CyberCapture will be mature in next couple of weeks to deal with unknown threats in real-time,and show results quickly.@Vlk :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:02:46 AM by Be Secure »
Security Enthusiast

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
So, another thing to be placed on a list of many things that went down the drain...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
@Vlk:

Lets take it into another direction.

If you think its 90s or maybe 2000s technology why did you implement it in the first place alltogether just to get rid of it alltogether?
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
Besides, when we asked about it several months ago, avast! team members said it'll be "more than HIPS" that it'll be more clever, more behavior blocker like. And then to no surprise it's called useless and planned for removal. Ugh? Don't get me started with "I told you so" when you'll say the same for CyberCapture...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog