Author Topic: Slow boot with 8.1  (Read 3170 times)

Offline avaster78

Slow boot with 8.1
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »
Yesterday i installed the latest Avast free on my mom's Asus laptop. I then was wondering very slow boot time. I first thought it might be something else than Avast causing that. I did several things, but the boot was still slow. I then decided to uninstall Avast and the boot time was normal. Then i did a thorough clean offline install with Avast, and also tried troubleshooting changing various Avast setting etc, but the boot was always slow. Meaning slow boot, it was slow before the log in screen and desktop, during the ASUS logo screen, the ASUS screen stayed there much longer with Avast installed. I ended up installing another AV and the boot time was normal. I'm not quite sure if the boot was that slow with the previous version of Avast, but at least with this newest it was very slow. Have not noticed anything like this with Windows 7 machines, like mine. ???

My mon's laptop is Asus k73BE and it was bought 2013.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:33:33 PM by avaster78 »
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Slow boot with 8.1
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
Did you remove previous used or factory preinstalled antivirus before installing avast?

Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software >>  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

Offline avaster78

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
Yes, it was uninstalled right after purchase.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

Offline NSchwender

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
The same problem for me with the latest version of Avast Free in Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
It can be the initial scan that the latest avast version is performing after installing.

For some disabling CleanUp have solved the problem.

Offline avaster78

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:32:21 PM »
It can be the initial scan that the latest avast version is performing after installing.

For some disabling CleanUp have solved the problem.

I don't think it's the scan, because the boot was slow after several reboots. I also installed only the 3 basic protection shields, without any additional tools.

I played with several Avast settings, but none fixed with the boot slownes. Also tried to disable secure boot in BIOS etc.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:36:03 PM by avaster78 »

Offline avaster78

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
There's definitely problems with boot at least on some 8.1 set ups, that's needs more scrutinisng.

Offline NSchwender

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
Curiously my motherboard is also an Asus. I don't know if that has something to do.

Offline avaster78

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Hi NSchwender. Just wondering possible program conflicts. Are you using for example Zemana Antilogger or other similar programs? When i was working with this issue, i didn't try to remove Zemana. I ended up to install another AV to my mom's laptop and it's working well, so i have not bothered to work with that issue since. But this possible conflict issue came to my mind and might help other with same problem. I also have Zemana antilogger and the latest avast, but with W7 there's no slow boot issue.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:39:39 PM by avaster78 »

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
The obvious thing to suggest is to look at what is running at startup and might be conflicting with AVAST.

Windows' uninstallers often leave plenty of stuff behind and whilst you think you have uninstalled the previous AV there can still be items remaining.

In the absence of a purpose designed uninstaller tool using Revo Uninstaller or IOBitUninstaller (for 64 bit systems) will do a better job of clearing out all the leftovers. But they won't help if the program has already been 'removed'.

Easiest way of keeping a watch on what is running at startup is to install CCleaner. That lists very clearly what programs and program processes are launching at boot.

Using the Run command: "MSConfig" or using programs like  Autoruns (part of the MS Syinternals tool suite but also available as a standalone) or Process Hacker 2 will give more comprehensive, and intimidating amounts of information and the means to disable/remove all the system and hidden processes running at startup as well.

Obviously before doing anything like that put in a restore point, research and get more advice.