Author Topic: Why did Avast program just update automatically?  (Read 4472 times)

REDACTED

Why did Avast program just update automatically?
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
Why did my Avast program just update itself automatically - without asking me and without even telling me it was going to do it? (It didn't tell me about it till after it did it.) I have always had it set to manual. In fact it's never done this before on any of my computers since I started using it what seems like a decade ago - except I guess for the time when it installed Safezone browswer tool a few months ago, but that didn't seem like a program update other than that.

Also, why did it install other programs and options without asking me first (or even telling me) or allowing me to opt out? It installed a safezone browser, and it attempted to install some firefox add-on.

This is especially strange since there was that long thread a few months ago ( https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=184577.0 ) which seemed to address this situation, and in searching the forum before making this post, I found in one complaint thread a mod here saying that Avast doesn't install safezone that way anymore, yet it just installed it on me.

In case you want to say that I should search the forum before asking, I did search this forum for "updated automatically" and the closest thing I could find was an old 2014 post, and a couple tangentially related complaint posts that don't exactly contain my question, and don't contain the answers to my questions.

I can only assume that the answer to my question is: because Avast no longer gives the user control over their update settings, Avast will update whenever and however it wants without asking you or telling you, even if you had it set to manual. Because the manual setting means nothing and isn't regarded. And that as long as you have Avast installed, Avast may install at any given time with no notice or opt-out, any number of random programs or features that they feel like installing.

Is that about it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why did Avast program just update automatically?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »
Why did my Avast program just update itself automatically
I assume you mean program update?
What version/build number did you have before?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
I don't know what version I had before, is there a log or something where I could find that information?

I can tell you that prior to this update the UI looked different. It was the one that would say "Everything is good" and I seem to recall it having black menu buttons along the left, I'm not sure though. Now it's whiter, and has a small menu at the top, and it says "You are protected   everything is up to date"

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »
I think The update issue was With older versions

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187663.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »
Is there any way to stop Avast from automatically installing program updates? Because currently I see it as a program that is going to do more silent installs that are out of my control.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »
If you are refering to this

+ Regular monthly program updates - automatic and silent, configurable via Settings

This to my knowledge are bug fixes ... anyway as it say, configurable

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:12 AM »
This to my knowledge are bug fixes
Besides the bug fixes, some features could be added, the engine (core of Avast scanning) could also be updated. In other words, bugs, features, improvements, overall protection.
If I were you, I'll let the program updates automatically and will postpone reboot if needed. You can configure both things in Avast settings.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of software that changes privacy settings during a (unauthorized, no less) silent install, opting me back into things I opted out of, or adding back features that I specifically opted out of. And I won't run software that automatically updates when I have set it to be manual (or set to ask when update is available). I won't run software that installs other software of its choosing whenever it wants, without asking me. But Avast does these things. This time it was a browser, maybe next time it will be a media player that usurps my preferred media player on my system, or a browser toolbar, who knows?

There is no reason for me to trust any configurable settings in Avast, or believe that they won't be disregarded again, since it has disregarded them this time. Even OpenCandy lets you opt out of things you don't want, but not Avast. With Avast you have to wonder what new software it will have installed on you today, and then go remove it if you don't want it.

For these reasons I can no longer use Avast.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »
Why did my Avast program just update itself automatically - without asking me and without even telling me it was going to do it?
Because avast thought it was needed and you have given them permission to do so.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
I won't run software that installs other software of its choosing whenever it wants, without asking me.
should not happen with latest version

For these reasons I can no longer use Avast.
Ok

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »
It did it in some versions but not others.  For example I saw 2261 update to 2262 even though program update was
set to manual. I saw this more that once.

On the other hand I'm running 2245 now (which, for the shields only, seems to be very stable mostly unobtrusive version)
and it has been left alone.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free