Author Topic: Avast update problems and let-downs  (Read 2553 times)

REDACTED

Avast update problems and let-downs
« on: June 29, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Hi,

I have been an avast user since the early 2000's. Over the years I have strongly recommended avast to many friends and clients who use both the free and paid versions. I as well had the pro version and mobile version which I discontinued due to the fact I do not want my antivirus taking over my pc operations nor do I want my antivirus scrapping my information for advertisement purposes. The extra paid features robbed my pc of resources, made some sites black listed and created annoying functions not needed. However I still use the free version. Avast continually sends me emails that you want me back as a paid customer which may never happen plus I no longer recommend avast to my many clients.

At this point its getting bothersome that avast completely takes over when a program update is pending and web browsing is completely halted making it impossible to browse the web. There has to be a happy medium between avast's bottom line, the users right to privacy and complete usability when needing updates.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast update problems and let-downs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »
The extra paid features robbed my pc of resources, made some sites black listed
has nothing to do with paid or not ... a URL/IP is either blacklisted or not

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
nor do I want my antivirus scrapping my information for advertisement purposes.
avast is not "scrapping" your information for advertising purposes.
Besides that you can disable them in the paid versions.

and created annoying functions not needed.
If you don't want the extra functions, why did you buy the pro version in the first place ?
If you don't need/want certain features, simple don't install them or remove them.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:14:19 AM »
OK so your saying I was an idiot for buying avast which I did so to be able to turn off advertising, thanks for pointing that out. When constantly being solicited by avast we are being told about how a system is not fully protected unless doing so. I did turn off one at a time the features that I did not want. Plus the features alone hogged resources. After turning everything off that caused problems I ended up with a minimal version. Hence the reason I did not renew. Still why when an update is pending does it totally hog resources when browsing the web? Black listed was the wrong choice of wording. I could not browse favorite sites but could any other site. After updating every thing was fine.

Either way when an update is pending I cannot browse the web unless I update the program. My problem with it is all virus definitions are always up to date yet over 90% of my resources are taken up until doing the program update.

Avast does collect user info for advertising.

Thanks to both of you for being eager to provide argumentative responses picking my statements apart but never eluding to the fact when a program update is pending my system is nil when it comes to web access.     
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:20:47 AM by wishy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Avast does collect user info for advertising.
No, they don't.

https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
Thanks to both of you for being eager to provide argumentative responses picking my statements apart
I am not ..... i am simply stating a fact that URL/IP block has nothing to do with paid or free version

If you post the websites you have problems with here we may be able to check them

Either way when an update is pending I cannot browse the web unless I update the program. My problem with it is all virus definitions are always up to date yet over 90% of my resources are taken up until doing the program update.
This sounds more like you have a bug in your install, you may try remove it with avast removal tool and do a new clean install and see if that help

How to remove  >>  https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB10

New install  >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187663.0

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:25:31 AM by Pondus »