Author Topic: # Avast 2017 Products Need BIG CHANGES!#  (Read 30853 times)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: # Avast 2017 Products Need BIG CHANGES!#
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
Do that and I can guarantee you a shitstorm of complaints why avast! is messing up installers because 90% of them come with some sort of PUP attached to it (even if you ask users during install, most don't have a clue what PUP is even if you explain it to them with a book. If you want to repeatedly explain to people, then be my guest. PUP setting is already located in the main settings panel, whoever wants that and knows the complications that will inevitably bring, will also enable it by hand there.

I'm sure a vast majority of users wouldn't want a PUP when installing a program. I don't see any harm in having 3 options of either yes, no or not sure which would leave it disabled at default.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »
You don't understand, installers FAIL because avast! deletes/blocks parts of temporarily extracted content even if you later on uncheck it anyway within the installer. Or it just quarantines entire installer because it contains PUP which you'd uncheck anyway during installation. I've seen that countless times. That's why.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
You don't understand, installers FAIL because avast! deletes/blocks parts of temporarily extracted content even if you later on uncheck it anyway within the installer. Or it just quarantines entire installer because it contains PUP which you'd uncheck anyway during installation. I've seen that countless times. That's why.

I've only tested it with ESET with installers that come with bundles such as utorrent and they haven't failed. What I've seen is the adware removed from the installer and the installation taken place an usual. Take opencandy as an example.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 06:42:12 AM »
10) we can't turn on PUP by default - legal reasons, but we work on different methods how to fight with PUPs

Surely by asking the user during installation if they want to allow/block PUPs will stop all legal challenges since the user decides?

ESET has done this.

Or Make Avast to Display a Message if a PUP was detected (Real-Time Protection) with 2 Options (Remove- Ignore)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
speaking of PUP, is there finally working PUP only exclusions ? (aka exclusion only against PUP list and nothing else)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
@Avast Team: Any plans to include anti-logger features (keystrokes Encryption, SSL Intrusion Prevention, what is displayed on the monitor, everything you copy and paste) to Avast 2017 products. The features that are included in Zemana AntiLogger Premium https://www.zemana.com/AntiLogger
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:04:03 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

Avast 2017 Products
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 06:29:17 PM »
Hello would you change the avast homepage for 2017 release?http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/50000/50045/avast-pro-antivirus-14-700x491.jpg because it currently is not very nice
thank you for your answer

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »
Different people, different taste.

And peoples, there is no 2017 version and there will not be one since the version numbering have changed.
Version 2016.11.1.2262 released on 27-04-2016 was the last one to have the year in the version mentioned.

Offline irongod

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
There is no avast 2017 version and as it seems there will never be one as the version naming is gonna change.

it might sound like a silly comment... but when I check my Avast Account it seems we already have Avast 2017 :p ... bug?
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
There is no avast 2017 version and as it seems there will never be one as the version naming is gonna change.

it might sound like a silly comment... but when I check my Avast Account it seems we already have Avast 2017 :p ... bug?

I would say that they are playing catchup on the various documents website, UI, etc. with their stated aim not to have the versions set against a year.

Some considerable time ago avast never fell in line with the common practice of other companies to brand it with a year. Then they fell in line, now they are going away from the year module and doing more program updates throughout the year.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline irongod

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »

I would say that they are playing catchup on the various documents website, UI, etc. with their stated aim not to have the versions set against a year.

Some considerable time ago avast never fell in line with the common practice of other companies to brand it with a year. Then they fell in line, now they are going away from the year module and doing more program updates throughout the year.

...also, has anybody noticed the Virus Definition not updated after yesterday about noon (CET)?!
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:53 PM »
<snip quotes>

...also, has anybody noticed the Virus Definition not updated after yesterday about noon (CET)?!

I rarely if ever check when the VPS is updated, streaming updates are happening throughout the day, the VPS update for the most part is collating all of the streaming updates that went before and are now integrated into the VPS version.

Mine is still showing 160824-0 am I concerned, no, as I have a shed load of streaming updates (with hundreds of streaming updates within), dated after that VPS number. When the next VPS arrives all of those streaming update sub-folders will go as they will have been incorporated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gyöngyi

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »
There was always problem and still present in the DPC Latency issue. After I'm Installing Avast firewall it is much Worse.
If there is no change in this area I'll looking for other internet security software.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
The only thing i like to see in an upcomming 'big' release is a full 64bit program. If i check in taskmanager avast is one off the only programs on my system that isnt x64.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
The only thing i like to see in an upcomming 'big' release is a full 64bit program. If i check in taskmanager avast is one off the only programs on my system that isnt x64.
Avast installs 64 bit processes where necessary, look in your Program Files and you'll notice that's where it installs on 64bit systems.