Author Topic: AVAST Free Killing Disk Space  (Read 14152 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVAST Free Killing Disk Space
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
Use online mail.

Offline WhataMack

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 07:55:45 PM »
Hmm, well, seeing as how all my calendar, contacts and tasks are also stored in Outlook I was hoping to keep using it and Avast at the same time.  It'll be easier to uninstall and reinstall Avast, I'd say, as an easier test first.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
I'm in the Me Too column - I had 25GB free space yesterday, and by the end of the day I had only a few megabytes free.  CRAZY!  Closing Outlook didn't help (couldn't find Outlook32 process running.)  Rebooting reclaimed my disk space.

This is a SERIOUS BUG!  I've been running Avast free for many months without problem.  Now I'm about to uninstall.

Offline WhataMack

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
Just an update: I uninstalled Avast and started using Bitdefender instead just to see what would happen.  So far, the disk space problem hasn't returned.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
Reported to Avast. Let's see if they have a comment or a fix.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
I wasn't able to resolve this issue either and temporarily uninstalled.  For the record, I am not using Outlook and MBAM was disabled but the problem persisted.  I will try again after the next product update.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 03:40:06 AM »
Same Issue here, started a week or so ago after an update.

Didn't realize until I received a warning about critically low disk space. System typically has almost 100GB Free!!!!

When I started digging found a 39GB and 59GB (ws00000xxx.tmp) file in C:\Windows\temp\_avast_\  :o

Mine would not delete until I shut down avast but I was able to get rid of them. The next day, same thing. Have Uninstalled and reinstalled avast 3X and deleted avast folders in C:\ProgramData prior to reinstall just to test. Every time same result, giant files are created in the \temp\_avast_  folder.

Additional notes:
Not using any alternate antivirus (or Malwarebytes)
No Drastic system changes (that I can think of) 
Using Outlook2013 (although I don't think this is related)

The files are definitely related to one of avasts scans as I can watch them disappear if I disable avast shields control.

Taskbar> right click avast icon> Avast shields control>Disable permanently The files will go away immediately,
I can then re enable all shields but after a while the tmp files will come back and fill my hard drive to the brim within a day of so if left unchecked.

This is a serious issue. I have been an avast user for about 6 yrs and have never encountered something like this. If they don't fix it soon I may have to look for something else.

Offline WhataMack

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
@bob3160, thanks for reporting this to the Avast team.  Have you heard anything back from them at this point?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 02:49:52 PM »
@bob3160, thanks for reporting this to the Avast team.  Have you heard anything back from them at this point?

Whilst Bob has reported it, he doesn't get a direct reply, the idea is to bring it to the attention of avast and for them to respond in the topic. This may take a little time to investigate and if it can be replicated, work on a fix.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Hello,
thanks for the report we are trying to reproduce the issue.

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 03:46:42 PM »
Update with some additional information.

After my last post I disabled all shields to remove the Temp files as I had done in the past. I re-enabled and continued to monitor. Every time I checked, the .tmp files were not apparent in /Window/Temp/_avast_/ and free disk space was staying where it should.

As a test, I started a full system scan and watched the .tmp file populate. The file grew throughout the scan to about 1.5GB. What is strange is after the scan finished the file remained in the folder and continued to grow.

I thought for a minute that the issue was resolved but maybe it just had not created the file in the past couple days?  It seems that once it is created it just grows and grows.

I see there was an avast update on the 28th so maybe I'll give that a go but apparently this doesn't sound like a known issue.

Offline novakja

• Avast team
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Hello everyone,
thak you for reporting the issue, we are currently trying to reproduce it (so far without any success). It would be great, if you could send us Support Package (contains all important logs) after running Avast with debug logging enabled (go to Settings - General - Maintenance - check "Enable debug logging").

Thank you!

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »
I have had the same problem for 2 days now.
I use Auslogics Defrag all the time, but I had also installed their free BoostSpeed 9, Driver Updater and some Hunter program.
I suspect uninstalling these programs will stop the problem, but I will find out tomorrow.