Author Topic: Can't auto update  (Read 3364 times)

Andyslogos

Can't auto update
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »
Hi All

This isn't an Avast issue really but I wondered if anyone will have any ideas.

I have just got a new pc (to me) re formatted the drives & re installed windows XP with all the drivers etc,so it's all like new and how it should be :-)

The problem is if I set up say Avast for auto virus updates it WONT be able to connect to the Internet UNLESS I have already started my browser up once!

I am on Dial up adsl broadband so any programs need to be able to bring up the dial up connection box on there own but this doesn't happen.Once I use my browser and connect to the interent then everything is just fine.

On my VERY old PC with win 98 it was no problem,every program could make a connection on it's own.

It also effects everything else such as my Email alert program and other security software.

I have checked everything I can think of but really haven't a clue now ;-(

Does any one have any bright ideas ?

Thanks
Andy  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't auto update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:28:48 PM »
Have you got a firewall, if so what?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access?

What is your email program?
Does your firewall allow ashMaiSv.exe (avast email scanner) access?
Have you run the avast! Mail Protection Wizard?

What other security software?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Andyslogos

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »
Hi David

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it's not that simple.As I said once I have used my browser and it has got my PC to make the interent connection Avast is fine and can update ok.It's just if I haven't connected yet Avast or my other programs can't connect it up on their own for some reason.

I am using EXACTLY the same same set up/software on my new PC as I was on my last one.

Anyway just to say the firewall IS configured to allow ALL the programs that I want to access the Internet to be able to do so and is working fine  ;)

Sorry if I'm not explaining it well.If I understood how a program tells the PC it wants to connect to the internet maybe I could sort it out.

Firewall..Look 'n' stop
Email Alert Poppy
Outllok Express
Win Xp
+ A Puzzled owner !!!

Cheers
Andy

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »
avast doesn't/can't establish a connection it has to be present before avast can connect to update. It may well check for the presence of a connection, but if one doesn't exist it doesn't establish one.

I haven't come across this type of problem, which I believe is unrelated to avast as you mention.

I am on Dial up adsl broadband so any programs need to be able to bring up the dial up connection box on there own but this doesn't happen.Once I use my browser and connect to the interent then everything is just fine.
I missed this on first glance, you are either on adsl broadband or dial-up not both they are different, broadband is always on and dial-up uses a different modem. You require a differend adsl modem or a router to connect to broadband. If you haven't got that you are still on dial-up so some of the problems may be related to the program expecting the connection to be already established and the others expecting to have to connect via dial-up.

avast Program Settings, Update (Connections) here you need to have the correct setting, once you have established, just how you connect to the internet.

"A confused helper ;D"
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Andyslogos

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 02:29:40 AM »
Hi David

Sorry to contradict you on both points but...

Avast CAN & DOES establish it's own internet connection if one it present, it has been doing so for the last 12 months on my win 98 machine and now for some reason it's suddenly working on my new xp machine.If I am NOT on the internet and then ask Avast to update it now immediately brings up the dial up gui and connects,just how it used to be :-) Also Spyware blaster is working like this to but not Adaware for some reason.

As for the Broadband 'thing' I don't understand why people keep saying broadband is a permanent connection.It has nothing to do with being a permanent connection what so ever,it's just a lot of people are like that.I just bought a NEW ADSL broadband modem a week a go for my 1mbit broadband connection and I am on Dial up like hundreds and thousands of others in the UK that are on Broadband without having access to cable or satellite !!

Anyway Avast is back to it's normal Happy self again.
Thanks anyway.
Regards
Andy  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:51:19 AM »
Hi David. Sorry to contradict you on both points but...
Avast CAN & DOES establish it's own internet connection if one it present, it has been doing so for the last 12 months on my win 98 machine and now for some reason it's suddenly working on my new xp machine.
Sorry Andy but David is correct IF you're talking that avast is DIALING and CONNECTING by itself to Internet. avast only DETECTS if there is an available connection for updating. It never dials, stablishes the connection or hang up.

avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds. If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band. If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time. Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file.

If I am NOT on the internet and then ask Avast to update it now immediately brings up the dial up gui and connects,just how it used to be :-) Also Spyware blaster is working like this to but not Adaware for some reason.
This is weird... There should be any configuration in your Windows installation (not avast) that is due to this behavior.
The best things in life are free.

Squidhead

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »
my avast is also not updating...
this is not good,,because as we all know without updates the system can easily be infected with the latest and greatest.
im having the same problem..
server.def file is blank..???even after a repair and reinstall
cheers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 11:21:26 PM by Squidhead »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 01:08:24 AM »
I have answered two of the other posts you have made on this same topic.