Author Topic: American Express Website - Infection Blocked Popup  (Read 7072 times)

REDACTED

American Express Website - Infection Blocked Popup
« on: July 01, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
I access online.americanexpress.com every day. This morning I got the "Avast Infection Blocked" pop up. This has never happened before

Here is the screen shot.

HELP!!!!!

REDACTED

Re: American Express Website - Infection Blocked Popup
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
Me too....it was fine yesterday and not today. This is critical........

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
Following this post. I had the same problem today and had to disable webshield in order to go to the site.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:46:15 PM »
I am having the same issue with everything American Express.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
Just tried it on the home page americanexpress.com, it redirects to the UK address and that also throws up an alert (image1).

I clicked the link in the alert window to report as a false positive, but I get an error when trying to report it (image2).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Still can’t log on to Amex and I need to make a payment today.  Very aggravating, I tried to disable the Avast Web scan and get a series of errors. Here’s what happens:
First I go to “Tools” on the Avast menu. Then Web Shield. I click on “Disable” it goes to my Macbook Pro account login. I enter my passwprd  and click on “Install Helper”. I then get a “Authorization Failed” pop up. I click OK and then get “Communication with Avast Failed” pop up. I click OK and then get “Configuration Error” pop up. I click OK and then it goes back to the Avast Tools menu.
How do I disable the Web Shield?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:18:33 PM »
Whilst this would ordinarily go in the viruses and worms sub-forum, the fact you are using the avast 4 Mac version, you might some information on disabling the Web Shield https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0.

Most of the people using this forum will be using the windows version of avast, so won't be familiar with the Mac version of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
Here's a twist to this.  Normally, I use the latest version of Firefox.  And when I logged onto "www.americanexpress.com" this morning, I got the block.

But ...

When I used the latest version of Internet Explorer, no block, no problem.  Does Avast "selectively" block sites based on the browser someone is using?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »
Here's a twist to this.  Normally, I use the latest version of Firefox.  And when I logged onto "www.americanexpress.com" this morning, I got the block.

But ...

When I used the latest version of Internet Explorer, no block, no problem.  Does Avast "selectively" block sites based on the browser someone is using?
Almost sound like the block is coming from the AOS tool since it works in Firefox but not in IE ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »

But ...

Today I was able to connect without alert, using firefox latest 47.0.1 version and avast on-line security (AOS) plug-in. Yesterday I was getting alerts when I tested this.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »
Hi DavidR,

But detected insecurity for the certificate used on/for that Akamai's HTTP Acceleration/Mirror service:
a184-86-178-164.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com

Certificate is not installed correctly
You have 1 error
Wrong certificate installed.
The domain name does not match the certificate common name or SAN.
Info
BEAST
The BEAST attack is not mitigated on this server.
Certificate information
This server uses an Organizationally Validated (OV) certificate. Information about the site owner has been validated by GeoTrust Inc. to help secure personal and financial information.
Common name:
 americanexpress.com
SAN:
 m.americanexpress.com, web.aexp-static.com, m.aexp-static.com, secure.americanexpress.com, rewards.americanexpress.com, cms.americanexpress.com, www.aexp-static.com, www.americanexpress.com, community.americanexpress.com, developer.americanexpress.com, rewards.aexp-static.com, wwwaiu.americanexpress.com, cardapp.americanexpress.com, amexmobile.com, www.amexmobile.com, secure.cmax.americanexpress.com, home-int.americanexpress.com, network.americanexpress.com, pub.aexp-static.com, icm.aexp-static.com, home.americanexpress.com, americanexpress.com
Valid from:
 2016-May-10 00:00:00 GMT
Valid to:
 2017-Jun-09 23:59:59 GMT
Certificate status:
 Valid
Revocation check method:
 OCSP
Organization:
 American Express Travel Related Services Company Inc
Organizational unit:
 Consumer
City/locality:
 Phoenix
State/province:
 Arizona
 US
Certificate Transparency:
 Embedded in certificate
Serial number:
 4ebd4a85ffcfa86506233ca735c1bfbf
Algorithm type:
 SHA256withRSA
Key size:
Certificate chainShow details
GeoTrust SSL CA - G3Intermediate certificate
americanexpress.comTested certificate
Server configuration
Host name:
Server type:
 AkamaiGHost
IP address:
Port number:
Protocols enabled:
TLS1.2
TLS1.1
TLS1.0
Protocols not enabled:
SSLv3
SSLv2
Secure Renegotiation:
 Enabled
Downgrade attack prevention:
 Enabled
Next Protocol Negotiation:
 Enabled
Session resumption (caching):
 Enabled
Session resumption (tickets):
 Enabled
Strict Transport Security (HSTS):
 Not Enabled
SSL/TLS compression:
 Not Enabled
Heartbeat (extension):
 Not Enabled
RC4:
 Not Enabled
OCSP stapling:
 Not Enabled

Vulnerabilities checked:
Heartbleed
Poodle (TLS)
Poodle (SSLv3)
FREAK
BEAST
CRIME

Here a CNames' survey:
https://www.robtex.org/en/advisory/dns/com/americanexpress/www/
with a minus 10 points score from VT, because 2 pages found, triggering on average 1% antiviruses

This for the Amsterdam situation.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »
@ polonus,
That may well be the case, but I rather doubt that was why avast was alerting on VBS:Malware-gen as the alert message .

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:26:34 PM »
Hi DavidR,

No it was not directly related to that apparently FP detection.
What that actually was I have explained in detail here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=188020.0

But the certificate issue could have lead to this compromittal being performed easier,
as also excessive server header info proliferation is detected.
One should not expect such insecurity and not keeping to best practices
on the  Akamai's HTTP Acceleration/Mirror service at the Amsterdam backbone exchange.
I am not feeling particularly amused as I know how secure it could have been when best practices had been kept.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:15 PM »
Well, this morning, I logged on with Firefox and got no block or warning.  So, hopefully, this is fixed.