Author Topic: Avast and Intel Virtualization  (Read 37659 times)

REDACTED

Avast and Intel Virtualization
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
Hi,

Searched everywhere for a solution without success.

Avast blocks/uses Intel Virtualization, when I use other softwares (MEmu for instance) that use it they say it is not enabled on the system, although it is enabled in the BIOS.

When I uninstall avast, everything works fine. after installing Avast the problem emerges again. Now i'm forced to use AVG, which I don't like, I've been using Avast for many many years now.

Any solutions anyone ? Thanks.

PS: Using the latest Avast Nitro and Windows 10 Entreprise full updated.

REDACTED

Re: Avast and Intel Virtualization
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 02:54:42 AM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
Avast Free Latest
Windows 10 Enterprise x64 with all available updates
Nothing but built-in Windows Defender
None, always used Avast Free.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
First, be sure to get rid of all remnants of your prior installed AV(s)..!!
-> https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

Then:
1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
Nope, still same problem: no VT-x with Avast installed.
Without Avast installed or with any other AV software everything works fine.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
When I asked about Intel virtualization matters a few weeks ago I was given the advice to go to AVAST Settings > Troubleshooting and untick "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization".

Unfortunately I have not gone any further with this I've been bogged down trying to get Windows 7 Updates to work properly for the last week, a problem not caused by but added to by AVAST which I won't detail here. But the info on the virtualization issues came from an impeccable source.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187667.msg1320605#msg1320605.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »
When I asked about Intel virtualization matters a few weeks ago I was given the advice to go to AVAST Settings > Troubleshooting and untick "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization".

Unfortunately I have not gone any further with this I've been bogged down trying to get Windows 7 Updates to work properly for the last week, a problem not caused by but added to by AVAST which I won't detail here. But the info on the virtualization issues came from an impeccable source.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=187667.msg1320605#msg1320605.
That option does not exist in Avast settings anymore.

Now, if I install Avast THEN install VirtualBox, Avast will stop using VT-x ?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
@gennoken: thanks for info, we'll support MEme in next avast version; right now, the only way is to disable "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" in Troubleshooting, because two applications cannost share VT-x.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
...right now, the only way is to disable "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" in Troubleshooting, because two applications cannost share VT-x.
Hi Petr, as mentioned by the OP (Reply #4), that option is gone in the settings of the latest version.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[ -- as a workaround, you can disable 'self protection' (in troubleshooting), run regedit.exe and set Start=4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\aswvmm.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[
Oops, good to know.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[ -- as a workaround, you can disable 'self protection' (in troubleshooting), run regedit.exe and set Start=4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\aswvmm.

Thanks, worked, virtualization enable now.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:01:31 PM »

is it safe to change start=4? sorry newbie

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »

That rather depends on if you having a virtualization problem ?

If you have the recommendation was to disable the "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" option in the avastUI - because that option isn't present in the current avastUI 'pk' was giving a way to disable it with a registry modification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

That rather depends on if you having a virtualization problem ?

If you have the recommendation was to disable the "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" option in the avastUI - because that option isn't present in the current avastUI 'pk' was giving a way to disable it with a registry modification.

My problem was, I cant run any android emulator (nox/MEmu (my pc always hang when startup))and (detected by LeoMoon my vt is disabled), but when I tried that regedit solution, its run normally and great, I was just curious if I changed that aswvmm, something bad will happen to my pc? sorry noob question lol

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
That change only disables the avast hardware virtualisation, this should allow other hardware virtualization to run. Just follow pk's (avast team member) post in Reply #7 above. It is also possible to save (backup) that registry key prior to making the change.

That said I don't know if your android emulation uses hardware virtualization, presumable it does.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 03:19:23 AM »
"I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[ -- as a workaround, you can disable 'self protection' (in troubleshooting), run regedit.exe and set Start=4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\aswvmm."

sorry im new here and im not an expert too, and im also trying to do this fix for my emulator as well. but when i go into regedit.exe with the address above, i can't modify the values of "Start" into "4". there is an error saying i cannot write new values on it. what should I do?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:21:22 AM by freitz_antonio »