Author Topic: Avast and Intel Virtualization  (Read 37660 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast and Intel Virtualization
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 06:10:52 AM »
sorry im new here and im not an expert too, and im also trying to do this fix for my emulator as well. but when i go into regedit.exe with the address above, i can't modify the values of "Start" into "4". there is an error saying i cannot write new values on it. what should I do?
You need to disable Avast self-defense first.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »
Additional information, not necessarily relevant to the most recent posts here but possibly useful as regards the general subject.

I gave up trying to get a W7/XP dual boot to work without XP deleting W7 restore points: believe me I've tried almost every method I found suggested for hiding the drives from each other including two registry edits.

Restore points, Windows' built in safety net, I hate anything that messes with them. As a result I decided instead to settle on using Windows 7 Pro's XP Mode which requires the use a VM. The standard recommendation is to use MS Windows Virtual PC. No XP driver troubles and no restore point problems I hoped and that proved to be the case. Everything else went well too until after I'd installed AVAST on the 'guest' XP system.

The virtualization option was unticked in Troubleshooting just as done for the host W7 system but after reboot I noticed all sorts of trouble I hadn't had before. I couldn't cut and paste without crashing the VM and the same happened every time I even tried to access a shared drive or volume. Unacceptable.

Internet research on a number of PC help forums/web sites and from a number of different users laid the blame for exactly the same issues I was having on using AVAST.

Whether it was the cause or not I could not be bothered with the hassle of an AVAST uninstall and re-install so I scrapped the whole Windows Virtual PC installation and started from scratch using VMWare Player instead of Windows Virtual PC just to remove that variable too. But this time I eschewed AVAST for the guest XP mode system and went for another lighter weight AV alongside my usual anti-malware programs.

All has being going well since - no problems.

Conclusion: in these specific circumstance ie. when using a VM the evidence suggests it would be prudent advice not to use AVAST as the AV program on the guest system.         

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
Noob here! Cant find anything that says "Start"
I have "ControlSet001" "ControlSet002" and "ControlSetCurrent"
In there i have
aswVmm and in those i have "Enum" with the lines "Standard" "0" "Count" "NextInstance".
I also have "Parameters" with "Standard" within aswVmm.

So can someone explain what to do please?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[ -- as a workaround, you can disable 'self protection' (in troubleshooting), run regedit.exe and set Start=4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\aswvmm.

pk, this still hasn't been resolved and put back in the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
@gennoken: thanks for info, we'll support MEme in next avast version; right now, the only way is to disable "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" in Troubleshooting, because two applications cannost share VT-x.

Can you also support Nox App Player which suffers from the same issues as MEmu?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:13:05 PM by Superman1975 »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
Just wanted to say that this problem exists for Leapdroid as well.

I can't even install Leapdroid without my PC locking up and having to do a hard restart.

Avast version: 12.3.2280 (Build 12.3.3154.6)

OS Version: Windows 10 Home 10.0.14393 Build 14393

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »
So... was this ever fixed or addressed? I still can't use MEMU or Leapdroid with avast and I refuse to use any other antivrius because avast is awesome.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 05:39:33 AM »
So... was this ever fixed or addressed? I still can't use MEMU or Leapdroid with avast and I refuse to use any other antivrius because avast is awesome.
Hi, it's fixed in the latest beta.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
Why is avast! not getting fixed? The Virtualization was gone months ago and never fixed. Languages are broken (in installer you select English and it installs your native language anyway) for months, still no fix. What's going on!? Just because version is planned for late January 2017, current stable version shouldn't be in such broken state.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »
The last public Avast release is from August, because of AVG integration. We fixed this issue immediately - it required only minor update in our virtualization driver. However, update release was postponed. We can release an emergency update, but this compatibility issues isn't critical. There is also a known workaround in this thread.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
I see it was removed unintentionally  :-[ -- as a workaround, you can disable 'self protection' (in troubleshooting), run regedit.exe and set Start=4 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\aswvmm.
pk, this still hasn't been resolved and put back in the avastUI.
Erm, the setting was back in build 2281, now gone again in 2282. ??? :-\

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
damn, it was accidentally removed in 2282; thanks for info!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
damn, it was accidentally removed in 2282; thanks for info!
Oops again. ;) You're welcome Petr.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
The last public Avast release is from August, because of AVG integration. We fixed this issue immediately - it required only minor update in our virtualization driver. However, update release was postponed. We can release an emergency update, but this compatibility issues isn't critical. There is also a known workaround in this thread.
Is it safe to disable it without side effect? What will happen if I enable hyper-v?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:55:25 PM by Aco3 »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Is it safe to disable it without side effect? What will happen if I enable hyper-v?
If you enable hyper-v, we'll detect it and we won't use virtualization. Avast uses hardware virtualization to make your system more secure, it's used in sandbox, CyberCapture and anti-rootkit. Still, there're quite a lot of system without hardware virtualization, what Avast tries to do, is make the best of known technologies to protect your system.