Author Topic: Avast 2016 (12.1.2272) Fails GRC port test.  (Read 4661 times)

REDACTED

Avast 2016 (12.1.2272) Fails GRC port test.
« on: July 02, 2016, 09:57:23 PM »
Your latest Version Avast 2016 Internet security fails the GRC port test ( https://www.grc.com/shieldsup ). Previous versions of your software did not fail. Currently your version is allowing Port 0 (zero) to be detected as closed.

I am using a Motorola surfboard model sb6121 modem on a broadband connection. When I turn your Internet security off - GRC port scan passes true stealth. When I turn internet security on - Port 0 (zero) is revealed as closed (No Stealth). In other words, your internet security is allowing port 0 (zero) to be detected as closed.

I realize port 0 (zero) is not a generally used port - nevertheless, by allowing port 0 (zero) to reveal itself as closed - you are revealing to port scanners that there is a active system.

System:

Windows 7 64 bit (fully updated)

When it comes to internet security software - This is a major fail in my book. Please fix this soon... or I will have to find a replacement for avast.  :'(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 2016 (12.1.2272) Fails GRC port test.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
When I turn your Internet security off - GRC port scan passes true stealth.
So full stealth with it off, why does it not show evrything open then      ;)

I can't pass a firewall test, what should I do?
http://ask-leo.com/i_cant_pass_a_firewall_test_what_should_i_do.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:46:25 PM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:55 PM »
When you test a firewall, it is the first firewall on the network that is tested, so if you are behind a ISP box or router with firewall then that is the firewall you are testing and the probe may newer reach your software firewall.

Running the probe from my Samsung tab with no security software on i get all green, bc i am behind a ISP router with firewall

After you run the gibson test it is explained below the scan result. Also see the FAQ section

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:31:47 PM by Pondus »

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:26:32 PM »
THE EQUIPMENT AT THE TARGET IP ADDRESS
ACTIVELY REJECTED OUR UPnP PROBES!

^^Thats what i get with Avast turned off but i also have 2 routers and a switch on the way out :)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:55:59 AM »
Please read my original post fully ... However I will state the following so perhaps you can understand better:\

1) With my Internet security off - behind the router it shows full stealth. When I turn the internet security on (behind the router) it no longer shows full stealth.

2) obviously, AVAST IS ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN SINCE THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN AVAST IS ON.

3) before THIS LAST UPDATE - IT WAS FULL STEALTH WITH AVAST ON.

4) I DONT HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH OTHER INTERNET SECURITY SOFTWARE (EXAMPLE ZONE ALARM - FULL STEALTH)

5) Problem is AVAST.

Needs to be fixed.

I would have never left zone alarm in the first place... However, zone alarm has become bloated over the last couple of years and no longer has the performance it once had.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
There is nothing to fix since nothing is broken.
you are revealing to port scanners that there is a active system.
Stealth as result also shows that there is a active system, if not it wouldn't be possible to scan the IP.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
I took a chance coming here... I thought that maybe a avast rep would see this. But instead I get people who have no idea what they are talking about. Guess I will start looking for another software solution.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
If you want someone from avast to have a look, submit a ticket.
https://support.avast.com

It is clear to me (almost 35 year experience), that you don't seem to understand things.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 03:56:31 AM »
So the current version of COMODO internet security passes GRC port scan with 100 percent flying colors (all stealth). And this is exactly what previous versions of avast did - they all passed as well. Well Guess what - the current version of Avast fails with port zero being detected.... As I mentioned above...

Having stealthed ports does not make you invisible to the internet world, but it does deny port probers a open or closed response. Which, in my case is what I want. Previous versions of Avast use to be fully stealthed - now... it is not.

Getting rid of avast going to Comodo..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:24:54 PM by VonStar »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
Hello VonStar,
thanks for reporting this to us!

Can you, please, tell us what is your Firewall profile? (Public or Private network? ) We have made changes in the latest version 12.1.2272 in the way how firewall profiles are evaluted -- the new thing now is the fact, that Firewall in Avast now allows different profiles for every network adapter -- such as LAN is private, while WIFI is still in public mode.

From your original report it is not 100% clear if you are (were) running 12.1.2272 (the latest avast aka the Nitro update) or the outdated Avast 2016. Would you consider retrying it with the latest version in case your weren't on 12.1.2272? Also, please make sure your network profile (go to Firewall / click settings (the link near the bottom of the dialog) / network profiles ) is set to Public mode - this is what you want to have when full stealth is required.

Since changes in the Firewall settings (turning it off and on) is visible from the internet (GRC test), it means that your PC has a public IP address, not a local one? So your modem is set in a bridged mode and not a more common NAT Firewall? Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks a lot,
Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
I have already switch to comodo and plan to stay with it. However, I will give you what information I can to help you resolve this issue for your other customers who may encounter it.

Network on windows 7 64bit was set to WORK (public). What my network settings were on avast I do not remember as I have uninstalled it

The version of avast I had was Nitro updated fully as of 7/3/2016

As far as the modem being in bridged mode - I am not a expert on routers so I will give you what information I can so you can determine it for yourself. However, we have 2 separate routers (Motorola) connect to one input line from outside. I do not have 2 routers connected inline.

IPCONFIG

Connection-specific DSN suffix:
Link Local IPv6 address : fe80::b574:5592:****:****%**
IPv4 Address: 66.191.**.***
Subnet Mask: 255.255.***.*
Default Gateway: 66.191.**.*

As I said, did not have this issue (and had the same system, router, cable provider) on prior versions of avast. This happened with the Nitro Update.

Currently, As I said above commodo internet security passes just fine on default install.

Hope this helps and by the way... Thank you for responding in a helpful manner. You get a A+ for that  :D

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:54 AM »
Hi VonStar,
thanks for all the info. Based on the ip your PC is really directly connected to the internet - the modem is set to bridge mode (or does not support otherwise). I am on UPC, used to have Motorola as well - similarly to your modem, it only worked in bridged mode.

My currently modem brand is Ubee. I've switched that to bridge mode as well, connected directly to the net. With network profile set to public, GRC Shields up shows all ports as greeen (stealth), including the pseudo-port number 0.

When switched to private mode, I can see several ports opened (red), such as my network sharing (135, 445). These go away as soon as I switch to public profile again.

I've tried this several times - it seems to me that it works as expected, provided that the network profile is set correctly. At the same time I have spotted some wierd network names in the list. We definitely have to revisit the code that detects the networks that are currently connected (on all network adapters) and make sure they are all managed correctly.

Let me look at this with the team and I'll report back here when we found more about this issue.

Thanks again,
Lukas.