Author Topic: urgent help 4 avast residual  (Read 3737 times)

achlesh

urgent help 4 avast residual
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:54:38 PM »
Urgent help needed 4 avast residual proportions:
I got two malware  1) worm_grew.a 2)adw_minibug.a ( detected by Housecall.trendmicro.com)

since thn my avast residual (avast!virus recovery database & avast!on-asses scanner) has been disappeared ,
thn i opened avast AV and put sensitivity of this residual HIGH.
and also selected "Always show" in windows task bar .
but still i count get tht in my system tray.

wht it means residual portion ? means it is not working??

although i have deleted two virus with the help of Housecall.trendmicro.com

now tell wht should i do?????????

Should i uninstall avast and again install it??????

PLS reply me soon....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: urgent help 4 avast residual
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »
since thn my avast residual (avast!virus recovery database & avast!on-asses scanner) has been disappeared ,
thn i opened avast AV and put sensitivity of this residual HIGH.
and also selected "Always show" in windows task bar .
but still i count get tht in my system tray.
You should mean resident not residual I think.
Try to repair your installation: Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

electronikk

Re: urgent help 4 avast residual
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »
OK, I'll give it  try: There is more than one way to deal with this situation.

First of all: If you haven't done it yet: I recommend to backup your data. (Rescue as much of it as possible.) Don't forget to scan your backups for viruses later and/or do another backup when you have finished cleaning your system.

Apart from that:

(1) Ensure that your system is clean. Try to boot it from a disk that is known to be virus-free and which contains an up-to-date virus scanner. That's easier said than done, because sadly I don't know any source where you can get such disks for free...  :(
If you have access to such a disk and you have either cleaned your system or made sure that it's already clean than you're fine. Either try to repair avast or uninstall and re-install it.

(2) If you are not able to check your system from a clean environment than you might want to check your system with another virus scanner like bitdefender free 8 or some other on-line-scanners.
If you have either cleaned your system or made sure that it's already clean than you're fine. Either try to repair avast or uninstall and re-install it.

(3)As far as I know the most secure way of cleaning your system is to delete all partitions and perform a complete re-installation of your system. But I guess you don't want to do that, and it is not allways necessary. Doing this would mean that you delete ALL your data, so be careful! there might be other ways to solve your problem. This option should be your last resort and you should first listen to what other people might recommend you.

As I said: Before using your backups make sure they are clean, too.

BTW: "Residual" means something like "remaining" or "the rest" of something. I think words like "provider" or "resident scanner" are more fitting in this context.