Author Topic: another ashquick bug  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
another ashquick bug
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:15 AM »
scanning with ashquick shared directory/files on network drive...

source server / computer abnormally exists (restart, crash, freeze etc) ...

ashquick not abort with error msg but instead of that vanish it's window and it's cpu usage climb to 100%

in other words it went crazy and not exits correctly or with error (ie cant read file retry y/n)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: another ashquick bug
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:21:49 AM »
Since I recently reported an ashquick problem I thought I would try to reproduce this one too. 

I set ashquick to scan a 2GB zip file on a network drive.  After it was running for some time I shut down the system which hosts the file.

At first the results were similar, the ashquick progress window stopped updating and ashquick.exe went to 99% CPU utilization.  I just observed for some minutes to see if any kind of timeout might kick in but none appeared to.  I went away leaving the system in that state. 

When I returned,  some time later, the ashquick statistics report was on the screen reporting a successful scan with the number of files that had been scanned in the zip file (up to the point when the host was shut down) and the ashquick process had terminated.  No problem with being unable to complete the scan was reported.

On checking my system logs I find that  I was away for about 15 minutes, and that 20 minutes had elapsed since I had shut down the host system of the file being scanned.  During that interval it seems some timeout kicked in that caused ashquick to believe it had reached the end of the file.     

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
Just a guess, but when accessing an offline server, even the Windows functions may be rather slow. I mean, a simple call to an API function may take minutes to return (=timeout); if it's the case, we simply cannot do anything about it.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »
igor,

while I must (since I posted it) agree that that network I/O is probably subject to a rather lengthy timeout condition ... is there not just a tiny issue about ashquick.exe reporting scanning a file as if completed successfully when, in fact, the scanning was terminated by the unexpected shutdown of the server?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
Just a guess, but when accessing an offline server, even the Windows functions may be rather slow. I mean, a simple call to an API function may take minutes to return (=timeout); if it's the case, we simply cannot do anything about it.

10+ minutes? ... with 100% cpu usage? ... not good at all
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:04:52 PM »
I can't reproduce that. When I restart or disconnect the scanned computer, ashQuick waits for about 20 seconds (CPU usage = 0) and then exits.