Author Topic: Known incompatibility?  (Read 1717 times)

REDACTED

Known incompatibility?
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:06:34 AM »

I have been using Avast antivirus free on my Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 ever since I've had the machine. I'm had no real problems until the last program update. Starting right after the update, the machine can become completely unresponsive when coming out of hibernate. Rebooting the machine brings everything back to good working order. I've also noticed that the SafeZone browser will not open on the machine. In and of itself, this is not a big issue for me as I do not plan to use it but, might it be a clue? Is there a known incompatibility of the latest update with Windows XP? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

REDACTED

Re: Known incompatibility?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:31 AM »
Pondus
As your answer suggests, I will start looking for a different antivirus. It's too bad because I was really happy with Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Known incompatibility?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
I don't know what it is in that topic that would make you think that as I have the latest avast version installed on XP Pro SP3 (see signature at the bottom of my post) and no incompatibility.

The only real issue appears to be related to the CPU in your system not being SSE-2 compatible and that could happen to any old system regardless of OS. Obviously the newer the system and or OS the greater chance your CUP is going to be compatible.

I would suggest that you at least give it a try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security