Author Topic: Can't update or uninstall Avast Free  (Read 22826 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can't update or uninstall Avast Free
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 07:12:01 AM »
FRST.TXT is not complete.
Please run Farbar again and attach a new FRST.TXT log to your post.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Here is the new FRST scan result.

Thank you very much Avast team for helping.

More info:

I recently installed Google Chrome browser.......but receive this error message when I try to access secure sites (for example my bank / Yahoo Mail):

"Your Connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID"

Google Chrome browser 49.0.2623.112

I do not have any difficulties accessing secure sites with Firefox or K-Meleon browsers, but had similar problems with Safari. Cannot access my bank's new online banking system with any browser though.......stream of unresponsive scripts and a locked up computer. Never had any difficulties with the previous system.

No problems are found with Avast network scan.

How can I get rid of those leftover Norton 'Scheduled Tasks' entries please?

alicia you really need to move on from XP its too insecure on the net these days, maybe even try a linux (ubuntu) installation then you won't need antivirus :)

Well I don't want to speak too soon.....but so far with Avast installed I haven't had any malware problems. I am also missing a number of Microsoft Windows XP updates due to a previous error on my system, which was found and rectified too late (post April 8th 2014).

XP suits my older computer, which may not cope with a newer OS. I can get compatible drivers for it from Dell. If I get a new computer it will be with the latest Windows version (if there are no major issues reported).

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
The procedure entry point Get Logical Processor Information could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."
This looks like broken installation of SP3 because this entry point was added to Windows XP in SP3. I would suggest to reinstall SP3 if it's possible. My testing XP system kernel32.dll (located in C:\Windows\System32) 5.1.2600.6532.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 12:54:44 AM »
drake127.....

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

I feel the whole operating system needs repair, but because Microsoft are no longer providing XP updates (although I haven't got many of them) have been trying to do a workaround.

Feel an XP SP3 repair installation is needed.

My computer developed lots of problems when I installed SP3 in the past and when I tried I couldn't uninstall it. I know it's supposed to be essential, but in my experience it messed up the operating system.

The whole operating system I have now was cleanly installed by a PC World technician.

I was previously advised against another clean installation.

I am being helped from a distance by an expert / MVP, but because this is an Avast program problem I need help from Avast.

How about if I try the previous Avast Uninstall Utility that worked last year? Or would that be risky? Don't want a problem half way through, even if there wasn't one, don't know whether I'll even be able to install the latest program.......

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:11 PM »
Regarding the 3 diagnostic logs you asked for (MBAM, FRST and aswMBR)....

Would one of the Avast team kindly tell me approximately how long it will take for the results......

Plus also answer my question above.

With thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:58:45 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »
I've looked at the log files and see that your system is a mess.
I would say get it over and done with and perform a clean installation of XP.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 01:00:38 AM »
Thank you for looking at the log files and replying.

I was previously advised against another clean installation due to the age of the computer / possibly not being able to obtain suitable drivers, although I would prefer it to a repair installation.

I've not installed an operating system before, I could only manage an attempt at the latter of the above.

In what way is it a mess?

I was expecting an answer in relation to malware.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:13:14 AM by alicia.rose »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
No worries about the drivers.
The windows XP installation comes with a lot of drivers.
Next to that you should have gotten driver cd's/dvd's/floppies with the system.
There is also the option to download them from the manufacturers website.
The last one is very much recommended as you will have the latest drivers for everything........

- Download all drivers for your system (mobo, soundcard, printer, scanner, etc...)
- Disconnect from the net
- Install Windows
- Install all Windows updates ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html )
- Install all drivers
- Check device manager if everything is ok
- Install avast

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
Eddy......thank you for helping me.  :)

"Install all Windows updates ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_xp_service_pack_4_unofficial.html )"

Excellent!

I downloaded DoubleDriver recently, copied all my drivers.

Problem is the original OS was Windows ME.

Had a major problem, summoned a technician, he installed Windows XP but I had no XP CD!

Subsequently purchased 2, one brand new XP SP2 and later when I found one, one brand new XP SP3.

Sold as genuine, carried out Microsoft recommended checks to ascertain whether they really are - passed, as far as I can tell.

However, carried out SFC recently, 4 'bad blocks' in a row in Event Viewer, don't want that happening during a reinstallation. Not had any 'bad blocks' before with it though.

XP SP3 CD looks brand new but there are 2 small patches of what looks like adhesive from the envelope it came in on it, don't know if that would cause a problem.

Need to feel confident with the CD, very afraid that I'll end up with no working computer.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
The most important thing with cd's/dvd's is that there is no light from the laser going through them.
You could (if a cd still would fit in a drive) put a meter thick stickers on a cd and it will still work.

Don't worry about the bad blocks.
During install choose to format the drive.
If any bad sectors/blocks are found, they will be marked and not be used.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
That's reassuring to know.

Thank you very much Eddy for the useful information and your words of encouragement.  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »
Hi guys,  :)

I carried out a repair installation of XP SP3......this is what I felt comfortable with, not having ever carried out a Windows installation before.

All Windows core files have been deleted and replaced. No missing dlls anymore......

But I still cannot uninstall Avast antivirus version 2015.10.2.2218 so that I can install / try the most recent version:

"Product definition structure was not loaded, because Instup GPB version is 4 but loaded GPB version is 10.

The product definition (gpb) was not initialized properly. Setup cannot continue."

Please see attachment. I tried to 'Copy log to clipboard' (option given at bottom of Avast log window), but nothing happened.

Please help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
A repair doesn't fix everything.
Perform a clean installation of XP.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply Eddy.

This computer originally had Windows ME on it. Dell on site drivers for it are mostly compatible with that. I was previously advised by a tech expert to not carry out a clean installation of XP. I cannot, at present, buy a new computer.

Also, as previously mentioned I have no experience of this, would feel uncomfortable and out of my depth. Would probably have to hire a technician to do the job......just to remove Avast antivirus?

Although I realise it is not as good an end result as a clean installation would be, I am happy with the repair installation I carried out, have you or anyone else any other ideas please on how I can remove Avast antivirus when I am receiving the error I previously detailed, which is preventing me from doing so?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:21:25 PM by alicia.rose »