Author Topic: MultiAV Scanning Tool Review...  (Read 14785 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: MultiAV Scanning Tool Review...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »
This actually means that scanning could be a risky business.
Yes and even more so when using multiple on-line scanners when you don't know what it is going to do upon detection. Since the AV program isn't installed on your system, I would guess reversal/restoration of files and registry entries of FPs would be even more difficult.

So a good backup/recovery strategy is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 08:04:10 PM »
This is one of the instances where it's nice to have GoBack or something similar.... :) :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Zagor

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
I received a mail from the author of Multi_AV tool after mailing him about my False Positives:

On 22 Jan 2006, at 04:40, Zagor wrote:

> Since the tool does not have the option to deal with the infected files after the scan has found them,

The tool will attempt disinfection and delete the infected object if this disinfection is not possible. This process happens on the fly during the scan. This applies to sophos, mcafee and kaspersky engines. Currently we do not have an option to leave the files if a disinfection is not possible.

> I'm interested do you plan on integrating this feature! And if you do, when?

We don't believe there is any reason to change this at the moment. The tool is set up to deal with virus infiltration's.

Regards,
Ian Kenefick.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
I know i will stay away from this program guys.....

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »
Zagor and ReVaN,

Same for me here too, thumbs down for a program like this,
sign for the folks here to stay away from that MultiAV tool.

Better to have the BitDefender 9 on occasion or download DrWebCureIt or run a full ClamWin once in a while, where you have all options open still after something is found up.

And Zagor thanks again for the bold testing. We owe you.

Polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Zagor

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
Well, it was my pleasure... 8)

Couple minutes ago I received response on my new mail:

> Thank you very much for such a quick reply.

You are welcome.

> I didn't explained the reason for my request in the first mail. McAfee and Sophos found many false positives

Please give me an example of these false positives. Are you sure they are not just potentially unwanted programs?

> which were imeddiately deleted after the scan has finished and left me with no choice except than to use system restore and get the system in it's previous state. So this option is a must for safe usage of your program.

I think we could include an option for 'safe-usage' where no heuristics would be used - maybe in new version. I think that a false positive with sophos might be an issue here though. Sophos doesn't use heuristics so it's a problem with signatures. Can you send me the log?

> I did post my testing of your program on some security forums and when people heared that there is no option for stoping the false positives to be removed, they caracterized this tool as a "stay away from it-tool"

:) I guess they might not have a use for it. This is a great tool in my view. It works very well to remove malware.

> and it is a shame because this is a very handy, easy to use program.
> Please consider this as a friendly remark from the user.

Appreciated :-D

Regards,
Ian Kenefick.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »
Well friend Zagor,

You did your bit, now wait until they have their act together, furthermore it stays a tool we cannot support in this form. Agreed?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Zagor

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 12:43:58 AM »
Absolutely!

But I couldn't do much without you guys, so... ;)

Zagor

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 04:16:19 PM »
I have contacted the author of the program again and this time he was interasted in my proposal to include the option for dealing with scan results. He asked me to send him false positives from my testing so he can study them.

Maybe after all he will decide to change his mind and listen to us  :) Anyway, as polonus said, we did our job, now it's time to wait...