Author Topic: little help removing http://wpad.browsersecurity.info/wpad.dat please  (Read 5701 times)

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: little help removing http://wpad.browsersecurity.info/wpad.dat please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
Found it! (Fingers crossed)

Thank you the AutoLogger logs. I think we will have to take care of some of the remaining issues a slightly different way now. The following steps will guide you through backing up your registry, assembling the file that will correct the issues and running that fix. IF AT ANY TIME YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR CONCERN ON ANY OF THESE STEPS, STOP AND ASK UNTIL YOU ARE CLEAR AND COMFORTABLE ON THEM.

Step 1
  • Please download Registry Backup from here.
  • Double click to run the installer; even though there is no 'foistware' installed with this program, as good practice, you should read all the instructions on every screen of the install.
  • If you let it, the install put a shortcut to the program on your desktop; either click on this or goto START > All Programs > Tweaking.com > Registry Backup > Tweaking.com - Registry Backup to start the program. Click Yes in reply to the User Account Control if it askes.
  • Please leave the backup storage setting at the default (if anything happens, I can tell you how to get there and restore the registry as this location is the same on every system).
  • Click on Backup Now to start the backup process; a progress window will open and show you the status of the backup. When complete, the program will state Successful and you can close the program.
Step 2
  • Please open Notepad.exe by going to START > Run
  • Type notepad.exe into the Run box
  • Then press ENTER.
  • Once Notepad is running, please copy the following text inside the Code box below (do not copy the Code in the title bar) by highlighting all the text inside the box (or clicking on Select next to Code), right clicking and selecting Copy.
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad]

[-HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2399731810-1161899897-192117391-1000\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2399731810-1161899897-192117391-1000\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad]

[HKLM\System\CSS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SearchList"=-

[HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"SearchList"=-

• Once you have done that, return to Notepad and click on Edit on the menu bar and select Paste in the drop down menu. Notepad will paste a copy of the text you selected from the Quote box.
  • Next, click on File on the menu bar and select Save As.
  • Navigate to your desktop in the left hand tree view window.
  • Type Regfix.reg in the file name edit bar.
  • Click on the Save as type: bar and select All Files (*.*) from the drop down list.
  • Now click on SAVE. This should have saved a file named Regfix.reg on your desktop. You can close Notepad.exe now.
Step 3
  • Close your browsers (Internet Explorer and FireFox) if you have them open.
  • Double click on the Regfix.reg file you just saved on the desktop.
  • If a User Account Control window opens, select Yes to continue.
  • When the Registry Editor warning window opens, select Yes to allow the file to correct the errors in your registry.
  • When the file has been merged into your registry, a window will inform you that the operation was successful.
  • Please restart your system for the repair to take affect. (Note: After the restart, your ESET may start giving you popups about found malware.  This is normal now and you should do a full scan of your system.)
Next Reply Post from You - Things to Include Please

• Any questions about this fix.
  • Any problems you encountered performing this routine.
  • How is your system running now?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
cool, had a couple of pop ups, will have to see how it goes over the next few days just to be sure. all Internet functionality halt last night after the last post (connected to net, but nothing would go through), but that cleared up just before you posted. i'll give it a 24-48 hour settling time to see if anything crops up

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 11:18:31 PM »
I will be looking for your reply; please let me know either way.  Thanks.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 01:00:32 AM »
had a couple popup for chrome, but only when i initially start it

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 04:41:59 AM »
If this is only on Chrome (no other browsers) then try the following:

First, try resetting the Chrome User Profile >>>>
Enter the keyboard shortcut (Windows key  + E) to open Windows Explorer.
In the Windows Explorer window that appears enter the following in the address bar.
        Windows XP: [font color="#008000"]%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\[/font]
        Windows Vista/ Windows 7/ Windows 8: [font color="#008000"]%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\[/font]
Locate the folder called "Default" in the directory window that opens and rename it as "Backup default."
Try opening Google Chrome again. A new "Default" folder is automatically created as you start using the browser.

If that fails to fix the problem, uninstall and reinstall Chrome >>>>

First, download a fresh copy of the Chrome installer:
32 bit systems -32 bit here
64 bit systems - 64 bit here

Note: Save the download file to your desktop for easy finding later.

Next, uninstall Chrome using the Control Panel Remove program app:

Please go to START (Windows Orb) >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a Program or Programs and Features and remove the following (if listed):

Google Chrome

To do so, left clicking on the name once and then click Uninstall/Change at the bar above the list window. 
Follow the prompts of the uninstaller BUT please read carefully any questions it asks before answering; some uninstallers will try and deceive you into keeping the software.

Last, restart your system and install Chrome:
Double click on the install file on your desktop (from the First step) to run the installer.

Please use Chrome after the installation and check for any problems.  If none, then you are done.  If there are problems then continue to the following scan.